Author Topic: Louis smith rifle  (Read 1755 times)

erstrauss62

Louis smith rifle
« on: October 14, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »
I was directed to this forum by the nice folks at the muzzle loading forum.  I have inherited a Lewis Smith  Rifle. I have posted in this  forum Because from what I understand this gentleman built rifles in recent times. I understand Your time is valuable. I am in need of some schooling About this rifle. I have been told there are different  Styles, Barrels, Locks, Schools of builders, Pennsylvania, Tennessee And on and on. By posting some pictures here I am hoping to get some detailed input on exactly what I have here. If you can help thank you in advance for taking your time.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Louis smith rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 05:20:47 PM »
This gun is best called a "Johnson City" gun. Several men contemporary with Mr. Smith developed this "school" or style. Stoner Creek is a collector of Johnson City rifles, he'll probably be able to tell you much more about it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

erstrauss62

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 05:57:29 PM »
Is he a member here?

Offline heinz

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 07:39:14 PM »
erstrauss, welcome to the forum!

The contemporary builders in Johnson City Tennessee were active in the mid to late 20th century and were an important school in the rebirth of the muzzleloading rifle movement.(Although it can be argued it never really died)

Stoner Creek is a member here. and expert on the Johnson City School, and I anticipate he will reply when he sees your post.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:24:25 AM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline RAT

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 07:55:58 PM »
If you look at the top of this page you'll see a menu item... "Members". Click on it and search for "S"... then look for "Stoner Creek". Click on his profile. This will let you send him a private message or email.
Bob

erstrauss62

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 08:14:57 PM »
Got it!!  Thank you much..

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 09:19:25 PM »
That looks like a really nice offhand rifle to shoot.  It's muzzle form is absolutely perfect for tight ball and patch combinations.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

erstrauss62

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 10:35:06 PM »
I put a few balls through it when I was about 14 yrs old .60 now. Lol

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 02:07:00 AM »
What you have is an absolute classic Johnson City School rifle. There are architectural and artistic ingredients in it that you won’t likely see in most other contemporary rifles. All (or most) can be traced back to Hacker Martin (1895-1970) and then with more influence from Lester Smith (no relation to Louis) (1920-1970). Lester Smith’s inlay and engraving work greatly influenced Louis Smith as well as LeRoy Fleenor (1929-2016), Don Davidson (1943-2017) and Dale Johnson (still kicking).
 While all of these makers stayed pretty much true to the Johnson City style they were quite capable and did recreate accurate copies of original work. The Johnson City School pieces are a contemporary style all their own and don’t mimic much of what you’re going to find in publications featuring antique arms, which in my mind is a good thing!
 Things to look for would be the abrupt and somewhat clumsy terminus of the forestock at the junction of the forend cap and curious little whoop-te-doo at the rear of the lock and side panels. The real tell tail signs are in the abundance of inlays. Inlays everywhere. They seemed to take pride in busy wear plates, toe plates, and comb overlays. The other obvious to me is the engraving. Those boys loved to engrave and were good at it given the time and perhaps lack of reference material that they had to work with. Louis is said to have done most of Fleenors engraving. Wriggle engraving is evident on almost all Johnson City guns.
 These pieces are bringing pretty good money in the big gun auctions which is testament to their appeal today. If you would need an estimate of value I would be happy to give you an honest opinion at no charge. Just send me a personal message.
Congratulations!!
Wayne
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 02:15:00 AM »
If you can get a copy, the March/April 2018 edition of Muzzleloader magazine has a great article on the Johnson City School written by Randal Pierce complete with pictures.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Not English

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 07:31:45 AM »
Stoner, thanks for the info. I am familiar with Hacker Martin but was unaware of the Johnson City school. I would have called it a really late Lancaster, but I can see everything that your talking about.

Dave

erstrauss62

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 02:25:53 PM »
I am definitely going to try and find a copy of that magazine. I might might some great information there thank you.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 04:28:14 PM »
Muzzleloader publication
Custserv@muzzleloader.net
615-230-9853