General discussion > Contemporary Longrifle Collecting

The legacy of a contemporary gun maker

<< < (2/12) > >>

Mike Brooks:
It's already in my genetics. My GGGGGrandfather John Cox is listed as a gunsmith/blacksmith from VA and participated as such during the entire revolutionary war. He also wintered at Valley Forge. He was known as "Squire Tongs" later in life as he found you won more land cases in court as a Judge. ;) I assume he was more a repairer of guns and nearly a full time blacksmith when it comes right down to it....Let me know if you have any John Cox guns in your collections.
 My own Grandfather Floyd Cox retired 3 times from Freelands Gunshop in Rock Island Ill. He Worked there into his early 80's as a gunstocker and "fixer". He was a competitive shooter and competed at Camp Perry and elsewhere in the mid 60's, I still have all of his shooting medals.
 I myself have always been conscious of my 'legacy". I certainly hope that today's contemporary guns will be as cherished as we cherish the guns made in the 18th century. I have always tried to make carved and/or engraved guns hoping they would be more likely to survive and will make their journey through time in better shape than a plain gun might. I'm especially more conscious of that aspect as I'm more near the end of my career than the beginning. This is mainly why I quit taking orders and am concentrating on creating some of what I consider to be my best work to date.
 I'm planning on a  100' white granite obelisk for a grave marker inscribed " Here lies Mike Brooks the Gunstocker. He came into this world with nothing and managed to keep nearly all of it". ;D

Daniel Coats:
I owe it to the future to track down all my failures and systematically have them destroyed. Not everything should be preserved for posterity.

oldtravler61:
 I'm no gun builder of note by a long ways. But when it comes to the 15 guns I have built. Those were all given to my son an daughter. Plus my grand kids.
  Both my grandkids who are way to little to use them. Always tell me. Their going to get a deer with them. I don't need anymore compliment than that..
   Oldtravler

MuskratMike:
Dennis: I for one cherish my Mathew Gillespie styled rifle that Don Bruton made for me with help and guidance from you. It is one of my most most favorite rifles I own, in fact I am considered being buried with it to help me on the other side.

Molly:
Mr. Brooks seems to have made a good assessment of the question.  Don't want to get way off course but the answer certainly must take into consideration what things will be like in 200 years.  The tools of the stone age still are interesting to some but I suspect most could care less about the people that made them.  PRIMITIVE tools for primitive minds and primitive times....maybe. Will your guns be viewed as such? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version