Author Topic: Barrel and ramrod pin locator  (Read 764 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Barrel and ramrod pin locator
« on: September 28, 2021, 01:04:47 AM »
So I have an awesome pinning jug that drills the pin holes (and bolt holes) in the exact place you want them to go. But I needed something to help me know where to put the barrel and ramrod pipe pins before I can drill the holes. I came up with this simple thing that did the trick. I am sure it's a variation of something already out there but I didn't have one so it's now part of my stuff.
To work it, I simply laid the wooden block across the top of the barrel channel. I have a dowel that passes through in a hole, which I push down until it contacts with the bottom of the barrel channel. Then, because one end of the block is longer, I lay it across the stock with the dowel laying against the outside of the stock and locate where the bottom of the barrel is. I give an additional bit of space for the tang and mark the spot. Then I do the same on the other side of the stock. Next, I set-up then drill jig and get a nicely placed pin hole. I will do the same procedure for the barrel lugs.
It takes the guess-work out of drilling these scary pin holes !

Offline flehto

Re: Barrel and ramrod pin locator
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 01:28:45 AM »
I do the same thing but use a depth mike...very accurate way to locate for the pins....Fred