Author Topic: Goex Cartridge powder in flintlocks  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Joe Wood

• Starting Member
Goex Cartridge powder in flintlocks
« on: September 29, 2021, 01:13:57 AM »
Does anyone have experience shooting Goex cartridge in flintlocks?  Opinions? 
The mark of a great hunter is that he truly loves the animal he pursues.

Online Daniel Coats

Re: Goex Cartridge powder in flintlocks
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 02:33:33 AM »
Does anyone have experience shooting Goex cartridge in flintlocks?  Opinions?

Did not work for me even in percussion rifles. Seems like the flash point was much higher. Significant problems with misfires during a match.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Joe Wood

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 03:07:58 AM »
I had also wondered about that, Daniel. It has worked well for me in my .451 Volunteer with a musket cap but a #11 cap is much weaker.
The mark of a great hunter is that he truly loves the animal he pursues.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 09:11:55 PM »
I shot a case of GOEX Cartridge Black Powder in all of my rifles, flint and percussion over the course of a year.  No problems whatsoever.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 09:20:07 PM »
a #11 cap is much weaker
They do make magnum #11's.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 09:48:32 PM »
I shot a case of GOEX Cartridge Black Powder in all of my rifles, flint and percussion over the course of a year.  No problems whatsoever.

Taylor uses 4F for prime and does not clean between shots or during a contest. Those are likely 2 reasons for his success with what is a
better screened grade of 2F or 1F, AFAIK.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hpbear101

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 04:26:16 AM »
I had a case of it for BPCRS. I have also used it in caplock, flintlock, and percussion revolvers with no problem.

Offline teakmtn

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 04:34:44 AM »
Is GOEX Cartridge powder more like 2f, 3f or something else. Is it advisable to shoot in 58 caliber flintlock vs 2f?
Thanks

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 05:54:44 PM »
The Black Powder "BPCR cartridge" granulation from Swiss is 1-1/2f or 1.5f.  I am not sure about Goex's cartridge granulation. 

In my limited testing with 1.5f Swiss, it seems pretty similar to 2f Goex in volume-to-volume comparison.  Swiss being faster seems to offset the larger granuation of 1.5f versus 2f. 

I don't have a chronograph to compare, but I hope someone does and makes a comparison.  In my single test, the recoil felt about the same, and the elevation on target was similar.

I think Dan Phariss or Bill Knight would have the answers. 

I hope this helps a little.  God Bless,    Marc

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 07:53:55 PM »
I treated the Cartridge grade powder identical to GOEX 2Fg and it performed identically too.  It is possible that the velocity with the Cartridge grade was a little faster, but it didn't make any difference to my offhand shooting, that I could perceive.
Swiss 1 1/2 Fg gives higher velocities as the same volume of GOEX, and the same volume of Swiss as GOEX weighs more...it is denser powder.  I reserve my Swiss powder for my Sharps rifles as Swiss is considerably more expensive than GOEX.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 09:14:00 PM »
Taylor, I greatly value your experience.  Do you think 1.5f Swiss gives about the same velocity as 2f Goex for the same measured volume of powder?  Many thanks,   Marc

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 03:55:05 AM »
I'm curious why anyone would use something in the title that says cartridge for a flintlock which is obviously not a cartridge.

It's very clearly not the same as other grades of powder.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 05:26:36 AM »
I'm curious why anyone would use something in the title that says cartridge for a flintlock which is obviously not a cartridge.

It's very clearly not the same as other grades of powder.

Dan, The production of the GOEX cartridge powder was started up at the old now abandoned GOEX Moosic, PA plant.  At that time GOEX was playing with what I would call niche powders.  The "Cartridge" powder was nothing more than regular production 2f with some of the smaller grains removed.  Simply a point of changing screens to eliminate the smallest size grains.  Otherwise it was no different than the standard 2Fg.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
Trust what our "Mad Monk" Bill says.  He knows more about black powder production than anyone alive.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 11:13:07 PM »
To expand a bit more on the niche powder thing with the old Goex company.  They produced another powder seen as "Cowboy" powder.  This was the standard 3Fg with the coarse grains removed by changing the top screen in the sifting.  It worked better in the light loads used in Cowboy Action shooting pistols where they did not want a lot of recoil and went with light charges.

Trouble is that it took a little extra work in the GOEX plant to produce these "niche" powders and the profit generated by the amount sold simply did not justify the extra work at the plant.  Black powder production is extremely "labor intensive" and any extra labor involved must produce a bit more profit off that item.

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 02:31:19 AM »
I had a couple of pounds gifted to me a couple of years back and shot it in my 54 renegade same as 2F Goex . I felt that is was equal to the 2F and actually shot a bit cleaner. I would like to come across some more of it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 02:55:00 AM »
I've always found 3F to be dirtier than any other granulation as a main charge.
Of course, that was back in the 70's when I was figuring out patch/ball combinations.
Now, they all seem to shoot cleanly, no matter the granulation.
I did notice a difference when shooting grooved lubricated slugs - no wiping. The American
Deadshot 2F shot cleaner than anything else available back in 1975/6. I only had 3 pounds of
it, but it was very accurate & clean burning.
That factory blew up in 1898 of thereabouts, I was informed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V