Author Topic: September Smoothbore Match  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Maven

Re: September Smoothbore Match
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 01:36:26 AM »
I had no trouble seeing that 5th shot, Daryl.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 04:33:52 PM »
I got some Smoothbore targets shot. Targets 1-3 were shot with a Fusil de Chasse, no rear sight. I’m working up a PRB load for a new smoothbore pistol so I used that for target #4.

Offline Maven

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 04:40:09 PM »
Center to center measurement of your best target, PK?  And very nice work there! ;D
Paul W. Brasky

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 05:40:49 PM »
Center to center measurement of your best target, PK?  And very nice work there! ;D

Target #2, 2 1/2”. Thanks.

Offline Maven

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2021, 07:37:18 PM »
Last day for the September SB bench rest match.  Thus far there are only 4 participants excluding myself:  Taylor and Daryl S, Kevin, and PK.  Anyone else?
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2021, 03:18:31 AM »
I had targets all printed….Nevah made it to the range. It’s always something around here. Looking forward to The October Match

Offline Maven

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2021, 03:36:23 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Nessmuck.  And yes, there's always something.... :(
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Maven

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
Well guys, this was an easy match to score as there were only 4 entries, but even given the small sample, there were a few commonalities.  To wit, FFg in larger doses was evident, as were SB's with no rear sight.  Also, the patched RB was used in 3/4 entries, but in the 4th, there wasn't a difference between it and a bare ball load.  Lastly, this match and the one prior to it show how accurate a SB can be, approaching and sometimes virtually equalling that of a rifle.  With that said, here are the results (extreme spread, rounded off since 3 decimal points didn't make a difference):

Taylor,       1.37"

PK,             2.50"

Daryl,         2.74"

Kevin,         2.97"

Those results were really close and closer than many would imagine.  Congratulations to the participants, and to Taylor, with the smallest group!  Thanks for participating and now it's up to Taylor to choose the format of the November frolic.   
Paul W. Brasky

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2021, 08:02:30 PM »
Maven:  thank you very much for sponsoring this match, and for your analysis of the shooting.  I think what you have said bears a lot of merit, showing trends and evidence for better shooting.  With that in mind, I think we'll use this same target for October's match, and the same bench rest format, to see what kind of groups folks can wring out of their favourite rifles.  And like the Sept event, it'll be for fame, glory, and edification, rather than a material prize. 
Submit up to 4 targets...measure centre to centre for group size...five shots on a target...50 yards, rest.  Now some prefer X sticks or elbow rest on a table, but a bench with double support is allowed as well.  What we're looking for is the best five shot group, anywhere on the paper, that you and your rifle can provide.
Post your loads, rifle, etc. so that comparison can be made, and learning the goal.
My advice:  shoot slowly, allow your barrel to cool, avoid sight mirage issues which increase as the barrel heats. (I will try to follow my own advice).  Try cleaning between shots and shooting out of a clean barrel for each shot.  Also try shooting a fouling shot and then follow up with five shots for score through a fouled barrel.  This is an opportunity to discover (again) what works best for you and for your rifle.  Have fun!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 08:06:15 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Maven

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2021, 08:52:44 PM »
Sounds wonderful, Taylor...and thanks for the compliment!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:20:24 AM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky