Author Topic: Patch knife  (Read 1593 times)

Offline 577SXS

Patch knife
« on: September 04, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »
Years ago I took an old damascus double barrel shotgun and split the barrels to make some knives out of it. I had set the blanks aside and recently I decided to make a knife to go in a shooting bag that had a built in sheath. Patch knife-general purpose knife. Well I got an idea! I hate having to reach in my bag for a ball starter then reach back in my bag for my knife to cut patch. So I made a ball starter patch knife combo. I'm left handed so the starter is on the side where it doesn't get in my way and I'm cutting away from myself after seating the ball. The damascus of the barrels I used for the steel had a beautiful pattern. I have tried everything to bring the pattern out with no luck. I tried 320 to 600 grit finishes and both Ferric Chloride and Muriatic acid. I etched it from 10 minutes to two hours and the only thing I did was thin the blade and some up more flaws in the steel. Old well I guess the barrel was made from only one kind of steel which makes perfect sense why the damascus pattern doesn't show up well. The next one I make will be of a modern two types of steel damascus.

Sam

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 03:46:34 PM by 577SXS »

Offline RobertS

Re: Patch knife
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 06:41:43 AM »
Very nice!  Great looking bag too!  Thanks for sharing them.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 02:50:06 AM »
I like your collection and the knife certainly looks the part. All the curly maple looks as though it came from the same tree too. 👍
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 03:31:30 PM »
Thanks, I didn't make the bag but it is a very nice double bag. Are far as the wood goes I like pretty wood and it's worth the extra money to get nice wood. If you are going to take the time to build a longrifle you should use the bet wood you can afford.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 06:28:31 PM »
Is the knife attached to the outside of the bag instead of behind the bag?

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »
Keith,

The sheath is part of the back side of the bag. It's a double bag that I bought and was missing the knife. I made my knife to fit the sheath. Hope this is what your question was.

Sam

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 02:51:45 PM »
That answers my question.  Nice all around set up.  It just looked like the front of the bag with the way the strap is shown.