Author Topic: Handsome whetstone box  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Handsome whetstone box
« on: October 05, 2021, 03:37:38 AM »
I spent half a day at the Hazen Flea Market. This was the only interesting thing in the whole place. That doesn’t say much but I had to bring it home.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 04:02:43 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline TN Longhunter

Re: Handsome wet stone box
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 06:27:54 AM »
I’d have brought it home too. Nice.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 04:57:48 PM »
Yes, that needed to come home.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 06:33:40 PM »
So these soft and very smooth stones, were they used for honing
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline RAT

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 06:41:30 PM »
Hazen.... dang.... that's not too far from where I used to live 30+ years ago. I set up at that flea market several times. For those that don't know, it's one of the biggest flea markets in the country. My biggest seller... used ice cream tubs. My parents used to eat a lot of ice cream and never threw away the 1 gal plastic tubs. We set up at the back entrance right next to one of the parking lots one year. People coming in would buy a tub to carry their purchases (the tubs had metal handles like a bucket). Word got around and soon everyone wanted to buy one. You never know what sells at a flea market. It's like sharks feeding... as soon as they smell something they come running.

Be careful though... I was walking around that show one year with a cop friend of mine (he was off duty). Somebody had a table full of antiques. He noticed they matched the descriptions from a robbery.
Bob

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 07:29:04 PM »
Hazen is not what it used to be. Mostly dollar store and yard sale $#@*

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 11:35:31 PM »
I grew up not far from Hazen.  Ridgway to be exact.

Offline RAT

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 12:06:22 AM »
My National Guard unit was in Ridgway. I lived in DuBois. I went to school with a guy named Schrecengost. He lived down the hill from me. I think he spelled his name differently. That was a long time ago.

Sorry to hear about the flea market going down hill.

I didn't find out until I left PA, but there was a famous gunsmithing family in Brookville.
Bob

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 05:33:37 AM »
So these soft and very smooth stones, were they used for honing

Yes.
Psalms 144

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 02:39:38 PM »
My National Guard unit was in Ridgway. I lived in DuBois. I went to school with a guy named Schrecengost. He lived down the hill from me. I think he spelled his name differently. That was a long time ago.

Sorry to hear about the flea market going down hill.

I didn't find out until I left PA, but there was a famous gunsmithing family in Brookville.

There were a lot of gunsmiths in that area for some reason. Some talented ones too.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
WOW ! That is a nice one. Most of the ones you find today look like a sway back horse from all the use. My Grandfather had one in his shop and the middle of the stone was worn almost down to the wood. That is a nice find.

Frank

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Handsome whetstone box
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 09:36:10 AM »
That's a great find.
Tim A
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com