Author Topic: metal finish on a rifle  (Read 902 times)

Offline borderdogs

metal finish on a rifle
« on: September 16, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »
Hi Guys,
I am just about finished with a Don Stith full stock Hawken parts set which he referred to as a light plains rifle. Its one of his squirrel parts in .54 and I still have to put on the sights and finish the metal parts. If I can get some good photos I will post them. Anyway, I have been considering how to finish the metal parts and barrel I had first thought of browning everything but reconsidered as I got closer to finishing it. I have been polishing the parts (don't enjoy this part) and I basically have everything part including the barrel down to 400 grit. I talked to Wyoming Armory about color case hardening the parts and cold bluing the barrel and they told me they would want the parts done down to 400 to 600 grit for the process. The cost is considerable which is one reason I decided against send the parts out. I considered doing a fire blue but lately I have been considering a bright finish.

I like bright finished rifles and I have owned a couple over the years. I put the rifle together with the parts bright and it looks good .But I have some reservations about doing this with this rifle which is why I am posting this. I figure the more a part is polished the less likely it will tarnish. I make sheepdog whistles out of different materials and have polished some down to 2000 grit that haven't tarnished in years. I would like to know what others have experienced when finishing rifles bright? What grit to finish at? This rifle is one that I plan to keep so I don't mind if it develops a patina from use.
Thanks,,
Rob   

Offline RAT

Re: metal finish on a rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 07:11:21 PM »
Out here (Montana) it could take 100 years... unless you leave it out in the rain, or more likely, snow. I don't know if there would be much difference between 400 and 600 grit. I don' even think there would be much difference between 220 and 400 grit. I finished a TN rifle to 220 grit in 2017. it's still as bright as the day it was finished.

As Jim Bridger said... "In the mountains, meat don't rot."
Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 08:00:22 PM »
220 grit is about normal, Rob, seems to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »
I finish barrels to 320 grit whether I brown them or leave them bright.   I like bright on earlier guns and a coat of wax keeps them relatively bright even at 320 grit.   I would certainly not go any further than that if I were to brown or rust blue them.   If I had a Hawken,  I would assume browning would be the way to go.  You might color cast the lock.  I always polish my locks to 600 grit because I usually leave them bright.    It might no be too expensive to send just the lock out for color case hardening. 

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »
I like polishing locks bright which makes them easier to clean. The barrels I rust blue or brown them. I prefer the rust blue. I finish with 320 to 400 grit on barrels. I like to age my barrels by using them.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 11:08:52 PM »
On a Hawken my choice would be rust blue.