General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Jumping the gun regarding rust

<< < (2/5) > >>

northmn:
They now sell a variety of rust preventative gun oils.  I have used those and found they do work, much better than the old WD40. 

DP

William Worth:
I see 3-in-1 Oil at Lowe's.

I'm intrigued by the notion of polarized oils, which I suppose all synthetic oils are (has a negative end chain) to help adhere to ferrous (positive) materials and prevent run off.

Makes me think of stuff you get from the Asian rim nations  that has this stuff on it that's similar to "Outer's Gun Oil".  It sure seems to work for rust prevention.

Daryl:
Most petrolium oils will also rust underneath them. This is why the older and cheaper motor oils (petrolium) are poor rust preventatives - they aren't. Synthetics must be added to ensure rust protection in most cases.
: WD 40 woirks perfectly in dryer climates as where Harry lives in the interior as well as here.

C. Cash:
Wasn't there a test posted on the old forum(with time elapsed pictures), which showed Ballistol doing very well against other rust preventatives?   It has worked for me here in often humid PA, though it seems to gum when it gets cold.   WD-40 has worked well also on BP, but I go over a gun about once every week or two so can't say for long term..  I used 3 and 1 oil growing up and it always seemed to work as well as Hoppes...neat smell for sure and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. 

Candle Snuffer:
I remember starting out with the WD-40, then moving to the Hoppe's Gun oil, and have also even used the 3 in 1 oil.  Provided we have done our part and have gotten all the metal dry after our cleaning process, I have found that they all work.

What I have settled on and have used over the last ten years or so is the
Birchwood Casey Sheath (Rust Preventive) oil.  I really like this stuff for all internal and external oil treatment of my muzzle loaders (and modern cartridge guns).

I mainly use the TC 1000+ Bore Butter on my patches and those of us who are familiar with the claim that the TC Bore Butter treats the bore of the rifle and you shouldn't follow your cleaning process with an oil into the bore as it will ruin the treatment that the TC-BB is suppose to imparted in the bore,,, well poppy-cock! 

I clean my rifle's inside and out and follow them up inside and out with the BC Sheath Oil and have never had a problem with rust, nor losing any accuracy nor having to regain any accuracy from using the BC Sheath Oil in the bore after cleaning rather then a TC-BB patch.  And I've never had a bore gum up with this combination as is claimed will happen by some.  I figure after 30+ years of shooting muzzle loaders I must be doing something right with my cleaning and oil treatment. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version