Author Topic: Chisels & sharpening equipment  (Read 3803 times)

Offline elkhorne

Re: Chisels & sharpening equipment
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 06:03:38 AM »
Gangrene (or anyone else that would like to chime in),
Would someone please explain the “scary sharp” system or technique for chisel sharpening that people keep referring to but rarely explain the steps or actual procedure. Thanks in advance.
elkhorne

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 06:18:29 AM »
FWIW…….  CHeck out the “ junk shops”. ……..the ones my wife calls antique stores.    I found on old straight razor stone in one, and I like to use it to finish off my carving chisels.  I use light oil on it, although I suspect they are actually water stones.   
Mike Mullins

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »
Gangrene (or anyone else that would like to chime in),
Would someone please explain the “scary sharp” system or technique for chisel sharpening that people keep referring to but rarely explain the steps or actual procedure. Thanks in advance.
elkhorne
The "scary sharp" method employs varying grits of sandpaper backed by glass used to sharpen an edge. The sandpaper does the cutting and the glass (or granite or any flat, hard surface) just backs up the sandpaper. The glass needs to be thick enough that it won't bend or break. The sandpaper can simply be floated on the surface or adhered to it.
My setup, which was a gift, has 3 grits of paper with an adhesive back. I have all 3 grits stuck to the glass. It is very convenient for quick touchups and doesen't require any lubricant, oil or water. There's no mess and is easy to access or store in a drawer.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 03:08:20 PM »
I think you first need to define "scary sharp".  What might be sharp to one, might be dull to the next guy.  Some guys like to test cutting tools by the fingernail test(quick & does let you know if the tool is dull), or maybe shaving hair on your arm, etc.  I personally use a piece of newspaper and if the tool can cut through a standing piece of newspaper with a clean slice for a couple of inches, that is my definition of "scary sharp".

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 05:06:59 PM »
Someone else mentioned the "scary sharp" method and that's what I've been using too.  Until I got it (glass plates and paper of various grits that's reasonably inexpensive), I NEVER had sharp chisels and fumbled with various stones, wheels and systems.  Now my chisels are really sharp and building has become a lot easier for me.  I still haven't discovered how to do the gouges and v-tools, but straight chisels are a piece of cake.

It is important to keep a consistent angle of attack of the gouges to the sandpaper.  I do this by using a small wood wedge of 23°, laying the gouge on it to get the correct angle--for hardwood, take away the wedge, lock your wrist to that angle and then carefully rock the gouge back and forth. If you can find the DVD  Sharpening Simplified by Everett Ellenwood he demonstrates this as well as how to sharpen v-tools and strop them with white rouge (or your choice) on cardboard. Ellenwood also demonstrates sharpening with various stones and diamond plates. "Scary sharp" Glass plates can chip on their edges especially when trying to sharpen knives so I have gone back to taping the sandpaper (several layers) to plywood (1/2" x 4 1/2" x 11") pieces.  The water clean-up of sandpaper on glass plates is better but using a paint brush to clean-off dust on sandpaper/plywood blocks is easier and more portable. Also if you google "scary sharp" one of the posts shows the use of lapping sandpaper--a better but more expensive choice. Hope this helps!  Bill

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2021, 08:01:41 PM »
Roger,
One of the premiere carvers showed a great, inexpensive way for consistent results at Doxons a few years ago. Hard to explain, but very easy to do.
A 1X8, with a couple of grooves, using a ⅜" rod beside the diamond stones will keep the angle consistent.
Call me if interested, and I can walk you through it.
A minimum of stones and very little equipment...... works very well.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »
Roger,
One of the premiere carvers showed a great, inexpensive way for consistent results at Doxons a few years ago. Hard to explain, but very easy to do.
A 1X8, with a couple of grooves, using a ⅜" rod beside the diamond stones will keep the angle consistent.
Call me if interested, and I can walk you through it.
A minimum of stones and very little equipment...... works very well.

That would be David Price. There was a tutorial about his method somewhere on this forum. He posts here occasionally.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2021, 01:25:10 PM »
I'd look up any of the sharpening methods used by woodworker Paul Sellers. Get three diamond stones and set them into an inlet wood block and use a piece of leather with chromium oxide for stropping. It's been my end-all-be-all for all sharpening.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2021, 03:42:38 PM »
Consistency of angle is the key to great sharpness.  You can get or make a triangular piece of wood, or plastic, or whatever, cut it at a 30 degree angle.  Or 33, or 34 - the lower the angle, the better you will cut end grain. A steeper angle will cut vertically across the grain.  But you don't need to go to extremes.
With your little angle piece, get your hand and wrist used to using that angle, till you can do it in your sleep.  Work through the grits with that angle, and if the edge is really rotten, start off with some 150 or 220, then go through your progression of grits (and not the kind Ma served with a dollop of butter in the middle!).
For a first time sharpening a new chisel or knife, go through the whole sequence.  I use diamond plates, starting at 220 grit, and working my way up to 8,000 grit.  Use lubricant - water, oil, hydraulic fluid.  It will help float the dross away, the minute pieces of steel, really powdery stuff.  It also helps keep the blade in good shape.  Don't use a lot - I use an old Windex bottle with water in it, give the stone or the paper a nice spritz every now and then.
And remember to hold a decent angle all the way through.  I used to use a jig to hold the angle - had a roller aft of the cutting area so you can keep the angle going.  But all good things disappear from your life. 
When you can hold up a piece of newspaper, and slice ribbons from it with an effortless motion, you've got it pretty danged sharp.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2021, 06:44:10 PM »
Here is David Price explaining his sharpening method to me at Dixons in 2008.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2021, 07:03:02 PM »
I know it’s not for everyone, but I recently purchased a WS 3000 from Work Sharp.
For me, it is to sharpening chisels what the Lindsey system is to sharpening gravers.
It’s completely reproducible and FAST.

I re-established the bevel and put a razor edge on 5 or 6 chisels in a fraction of the time it would have taken to do just one by hand.
It also works great on gouges by actually letting you see the bevel as you grind it.

I’m spending far less time sharpening and I’m also working with the sharpest chisels and gouges that I have ever used.

I couldn’t be happier with this purchase.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2021, 02:47:43 AM »
For what it's worth, David Price has a series of 3 books out.  I'm not sure if you have to get them from him or can purchase elsewhere.  He gave me a signed set a few years back.  One is on sharpening, one is on engraving and one is on relief carving.  They're very good books and are well illustrated.