Author Topic: First Build Recommendations  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Srkmarine1101

• Starting Member
Re: First Build Recommendations
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2021, 04:50:33 AM »
How do these compare  to chambers? They look great.

Another route to consider is getting a stock from Dave Keck at knob mountain muzzleloading.

http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/FredMillerStockpage3.html

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 05:59:32 AM »
These are not kits, it’s a semi profiled stock. You have to find butt plate and trigger guard that will work with the profile you choose.  If your looking for a kit then I would go with Jim Chambers.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 03:34:01 PM »
If you are interested in an early rifle, I would absolutely recommend the Edward Marshall from Jim Chambers.  I believe that Jim used one as his own personal hunting rifle for years.  I built mine in .62 caliber and it is a wonderful rifle. The lock is superlative. 

Offline silky

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 07:17:52 PM »
You might take a look at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading, too -- they may have some styles that interest you.  My first ever build was one of their kits and I found it to be just right for my beginner's skillset at that time.  Enough of the intimidating (for a first time builder) work was done -- *and done well* -- but it gave me the opportunity to develop lots of the fundamental skills that helped me move on to building from a blank.  I learned so much on that first one and still wound up with a nice-looking rifle.

I hope this helps.

- Tom

Offline Srkmarine1101

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2021, 01:08:26 AM »
I have spent the last few days looking around and am pretty much decided that this is the route I am going.  Got my books ordered so it's time to start reading and taking some notes.

I feel like a rifle like that needs some basic carving at least. So may see about sending it out some where once I get to that point to have this done before I finish it. We'll see how I feel once I get there..

If you are interested in an early rifle, I would absolutely recommend the Edward Marshall from Jim Chambers.  I believe that Jim used one as his own personal hunting rifle for years.  I built mine in .62 caliber and it is a wonderful rifle. The lock is superlative.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2021, 01:19:30 AM »
Ok, I gotta be that guy. Have you considered a simple trade gun or plain type Fowler? They were the work horses of the frontier, just not as saxy as a rifle.
Psalms 144

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2021, 02:46:01 AM »
I think once you figure out what you want get it ordered there is usually more than just a few weeks to get it (lead times I have seen are 2+ months). Also a lot of the parts that are usually in stock are out of stock. All the stuff concerning building s rifle seems overwhelming and above your ability but remember you are only doing one thing at a time. Taylor said in his posts about building his Hawken rifle a while back, treat each thing as a project, I think that is great advise!
Rob

Offline Srkmarine1101

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2021, 04:29:49 AM »

Haven't even considered that. Who makes a good one?  I will take a look at these.

Ok, I gotta be that guy. Have you considered a simple trade gun or plain type Fowler? They were the work horses of the frontier, just not as saxy as a rifle.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2021, 06:18:29 AM »

Haven't even considered that. Who makes a good one?  I will take a look at these.

I’m sure Chambers offers a quality Fowler kit. As to the trade gun, unless you really want to get deep into the weeds, you can build a passable and quality gun with a barrel and parts from Track, non-inlet walnut stock from Pecatonica. Use the Chambers Virginia or English lock unless you want to build a lock from scratch. Trade guns are considered to be the easiest for a beginner to build.
Psalms 144

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2021, 11:35:43 PM »
I was at Friendship today and bought another one of those cosmetic seconds. It’s a Mark Silver Virginia rifle in 60 cal. with an absolutely dynamite piece of curly maple. Barbie still has more kits available with the cosmetic flaws. I’ll post a picture of this one soon. As I have stated previously, I’m not really a kit guy but this one had to come back to Stoner Creek.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:39:08 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2021, 01:22:17 AM »
I'm having some difficulty finding the flaw. I have always liked the gun that comes out of that kit, very cool.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2021, 01:29:30 AM »
It’s a linear crack from the second pipe continuing to almost the muzzle. Not structural. Easy fix. No hill for a climber.
 I’ve already drawing out ideas for this one.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2021, 02:31:16 AM »
Score on that one Wayne. Thanks for reminding us about seconds.
Hold to the Wind

Buckskinner

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2021, 06:56:53 PM »
I have spent the last few days looking around and am pretty much decided that this is the route I am going.  Got my books ordered so it's time to start reading and taking some notes.

I feel like a rifle like that needs some basic carving at least. So may see about sending it out some where once I get to that point to have this done before I finish it. We'll see how I feel once I get there..

I built the Chambers Edward Marshall as my first and the York as my second and am patiently awaiting an English Fowler.  Excellent products from Chambers and very fun and challenging experience, I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Birddog6

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »
For me, you are looking at the build all wrong from the get go. 

Take a day or two & Drive to some place that has a multitude of stocks or guns & Shoulder some of them. You are basically gonna spend $1000. for a box of parts. To me that is not chicken feed, that's allot of $ based on MAYBE I
will like it & MAYBE I can shoot it comfortably ?  ???.

It's a real bummer to pend 150-200 hr's on something that is awful for you to shoot.  If you are going to build
something for You, start with something You Like. It doesn't matter What school or style or county or type, it
doesn't matter if it is fancy or plain, it need to Fit You.

I absolutely love a fullstock Hawken rifle.  But I can't shoot one, it don't fit me well, a real one is way too heavy
(13#) so I don't own one or build them.  Lehigh Valley guns, I just love them. Took me 20 yrs to find one that didn't
bust my cheek.  Ya can't go by what others like or what fits them, you must find what fit YOU. 

The only dealer you mentioned that I am aware of that has a real  "KIT" is Jim Kibler.  Basically you assemble it, stain, brown & go shoot it. 
The rest of them should not even call them kits. You are buying a box of parts, not a kit.  Most of them I will not touch because they are Over-inlet & the first thing ya have to do is start gluing in wood.   :o What, I pay  $500 for a really nice piece of wood & have to glue wood back on ?  To me that is Totally ridiculous.

If you do go with the Jaeger, Do Not get one that takes a Acanthus Leaf Buttplate.  First build it would be very rare
you ever get that buttplatte on correctly or without Allot of filler. It is a hard buttpleat if not the hardest one I know of.

Another thing, don't worry about the forestock being square if you buy a precarve.  It is just wood.  It will come off.
there is no rush. 

If I were you, I'd take a ride & find a rifle I am Comfortable with.  Then I would decide what barrel, caliber & etc.

But I see things different than some do.