Author Topic: Reading patches  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Mike_StL

Re: Reading patches
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 10:02:56 PM »
I knew when I started this shooting experiment that the 0.520" balls and the 0.010" thick patch were way undersized.  I was curious how such knowingly undersized, but very easy to load would perform.  I didn't perform that good, but the easy loading balls and patch didn't do anything much different tightly loaded set up.

Good observations, Mike.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2021, 11:13:19 PM »
Thicker patching and tighter loads are generally more accurate and give higher velocities; they keep the fouling level down some too.  The patches will be reusable in most cases as well.  I often find my fired patches appear to have no indication, other than frayed edges, they'd ever been sent down a bore.   
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 06:56:03 AM »
I knew when I started this shooting experiment that the 0.520" balls and the 0.010" thick patch were way undersized.  I was curious how such knowingly undersized, but very easy to load would perform.  I didn't perform that good, but the easy loading balls and patch didn't do anything much different tightly loaded set up.

Good observations, Mike.

The reason the groups were not much different, is that you were only shooting 25 yards.
This is a 28 yard 5-shot group shot with my 20 bore flint fowler, no rear sight.

hahaha smileys
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V