Author Topic: Using lubed cushion wad for PRB and shot for flintlock fowler?  (Read 1107 times)

Appalachian Mtnman

Using lubed cushion wad for PRB and shot for flintlock fowler?
« on: September 11, 2021, 03:46:16 AM »
I am new to flintlocks (got a 20 gauge flintlock fowler for first gun) and was wondering this question above.... just to see if anyone does this? (thinking that just lubing cushion wads are easy and effective?)

Is there any other effective and efficient lubing sources and what do others notice that works for them?

Also effective and efficient lubing that can be bought in stores?

Also I have not shot my gun yet (tools and materials are still being shipped) and know that different guns react to different combinations... just trying to have list of options...

Offline 577SXS

Re: Using lubed cushion wad for PRB and shot for flintlock fowler?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 02:47:43 PM »
I've been lubing fiber cushion wads for a long time. Very easy to do. Just melt a soft bullet lube and drop your wads in it. When the wads turn a solid darker color pull them out and lay on their edge on a piece of soft wood board. I've used lots of different lubes from Crisco to many mixes of over the counter cast bullet lubes. I use Bore Butter now mixed with a little paraffin to harden it up to a clay consistency. I've shot my shotguns all day long with ever cleaning them. The lubed wads clean to bore as you load. The chamber area will get a little fouled but not an issue. I do use a card wad under the lubed fiber wad. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 03:56:08 PM »
I've yet to pull a trigger on a smoothie, but have read many threads on developing loads for them.  Two big (I think) things I've learned from that reading is that big wads often have a tendency to blow a hole in the group (wadding doesn't decelerate as quickly as the shot), and that slower powders often help patterns.  The third thing is that you're going to shoot a bunch to develop your best loads. 

Many only use card wads, doubling them up in many cases, to prevent donutting their pattern and many folks use 2F and some 1F powder for best results from shot loads.

Enjoy the process. There are lots and lots of "recipes" on here and you'll likely wind up with your very own.  Plenty of threads to read if you look.  But I'm sure the shotgunners will load you up here too.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 06:29:50 PM »
Look up the “Sky Chief “ shot load for Smoothbores

Offline elkhart

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 09:32:08 PM »
I don't shoot much shot, but I'll throw in my 2 cents on roundball.

For context, I shoot a 54 caliber (28 ga) North Star West trade gun. I typically shoot it at 25 yards, easily groups 2 inches. The gun probably shoots better than I can aim.

The best load for this gun is 65 grains of 3F, an over powder card, .530 ball, and an over shot card to cap it off. No lube, no patch. I can shoot it all day and cleaning is easy.

I've tried a patched roundball, it shoots ok. .520 ball and .010 patch lubed with Wonder Lube. The bore runs a bit tight on this gun.

Have also tried a lubed wad, found it offered nothing over using the over powder cards.

I really wish Matt Denison was still running North Star West, he made a great gun!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 06:41:33 AM »
With smooth bores without chokes(cylinder bore), heavy 1/2" (lubed or dry) wads tend to blow the patterns.
You MUST experiment and "pattern" your loads on paper or a patterning board so you can judge how well they pattern.
Using different powder charges, different wad combinations, even different shot size can alter pattern density and coverage.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V