Author Topic: It's that time of year-hunting seasons  (Read 1404 times)

Offline smylee grouch

It's that time of year-hunting seasons
« on: September 13, 2021, 12:48:31 AM »
MikeO and I in the Duck Mts. of Manitoba.

MikeO's 400 +++ lbs. taken with a 58 flinter, 4+ dram load under a slightly hard (60 to 1 lead tin) round ball in the shoulder dropped on the spot.  My just under 300 lbs. with a 62 flinter 4 dram load of swiss 1&1/2 and 610 lead round ball

Offline wattlebuster

Re: It's that time of year-hunting seasons
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 01:21:33 AM »
Congrats to ya. Bear grease galore ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 03:06:48 AM »
Yep there was a good supply of fat on both critters. I was out of sausage so am looking forward to that.  Also looking forward to others hunting pics.  :)

Offline martin9

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 03:16:20 AM »
This is the only pic i took so far this year. My .54 "smooth rifle" with a nice young squirrel. The bandana is full of black trumpet mushrooms I picked while squirrel hunting.

bbcode image

Online Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »
Congrats on the bears!  Buddy and I both drew tags for our fall bear season here in Maryland, hoping we can do as well.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline utseabee

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 03:16:22 AM »
Looks like a great hunt!! Our early bear season in PA isn't until mid to late October. I am looking forward to it. Nice job on the bears
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 06:45:23 AM »
Well done, Smylee and Mike. ;D ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 03:33:40 PM »
Cogratulations Gary, Mike's bear is exceptional. Glad to see you hunting again.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 10:24:07 PM »
Yes, Mike's bear was a real Gorilla!  Both bears in the pictures had been gutted out so they would have looked even bigger otherwise.  Odd thing on my bear shot with a 610 pure lead ball, I grazed the rear of the left front shoulder and ball took off on a rear path to the right hip. Buggered up some good sausage meat and his inside cavity was full of blood. He didn't go far but I had never had that happen before.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 12:41:06 AM »
Nice fat bears for the both of you!  Big Congrats.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 08:21:17 PM »
Yes, Mike's bear was a real Gorilla!  Both bears in the pictures had been gutted out so they would have looked even bigger otherwise.  Odd thing on my bear shot with a 610 pure lead ball, I grazed the rear of the left front shoulder and ball took off on a rear path to the right hip. Buggered up some good sausage meat and his inside cavity was full of blood. He didn't go far but I had never had that happen before.

Black bears, being mostly a dull colour in the shade, are very difficult to see if they are angled. A similar shot was made by my buddy on a bear I'd shot first. If was hard to see, but it had turned slightly at the impact of my shot & his shot did exactly like yours, just barely behind the on-side (left) shoulder and out the right hip. He thought the bear was still sideways, but i was slightly ahead of him and could see the angle.
This is possibly what happened to your bear.  Balls shot from a rifle usually travel dead straight through the animal. I suspect it is possible a ball from a smoothbore might deviate, however I do not know that for a fact.
Those bears have a good distance between the ears - good indicator for a decent bear. Bears that look like Mickey Mouse, we call 2 footers.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline elkhart

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »
Very nice bears! Looks like a beautiful fall woods up there.

Looking forward to PA's early bear/deer season!