Author Topic: Clasp Knife "found" in Missouri along the Missouri River  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

Clasp Knife "found" in Missouri along the Missouri River
« on: September 13, 2021, 01:01:44 AM »
A recent post reminded me of a clasp knife I discovered while helping a local historical society spruce up their museum collections.  The knife was in a box of arrow heads along with a couple of other miscellaneous items donated by a local collector years ago.  No other info.  We are in the Boonslick region of MO.  So hard to tell!  Horn and a nice hard thin steel. 

When I can, this jewel is on my list of "pocket knives" to make ;)

Pictures are not the best apologies on that.  The first picture is the "closest to scale" of all of them.  I was able to trace the exact outline and the knife open is 7 3/8" long total.  And fits the hand surprisingly well.

Thank you

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:14:35 AM by Salkehatchie »

Offline Kevin

Re: Clasp Knife "found" in Missouri along the Missouri River
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 02:05:22 AM »
 Salkehatchie,

Thanks for sharing the images.  That is a neat piece.  I look forward to seeing the additional pics.

Kevin

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 02:38:46 AM »
Probably should correct my posting, now I do have all the pictures of that knife posted.

Just goes to show you what is stored away.  Someone was going through discarding miscellaneous items and while sorting found this box of goodies and many more items.  Mostly Civil War era.  I have posted on Contemporary Makers a series of pictures from the Museum at the local college from a grave find and some other pictures.  The one picture of a large powder horn has "1799" inscribed on the butt plug.  In theory the horn came from the Boone family who was in the area about...8 miles to the SW on a bluff on the MO River. 

Might check that post on Contemporary out.

In the search engine for Contemporary Makers simply type in "Glasgow" and you will see a few more local items.

Thank you

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »
That knife is very similar to this replica of a Spanish Highwayman's Knife from the 18th Century.
I raised the release lever just to show it's similarity to the original posted above.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 07:54:49 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 11:37:52 PM »
It appears to be a Navaga a fighting knife. I took a knife fighting class 10 or 15 years ago where the Navaga was the preferred weapon.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 11:07:32 PM »
Forgot about those Spanish blades.

Although I have never seen one, many here in this area claim to have deeds written in Spanish, prior to the area's purchase by the US.

Would not surprise me.

Thank you guys!