Author Topic: Recommended Brass Plate Thickness  (Read 1833 times)

Offline terryreynolds

• Starting Member
Recommended Brass Plate Thickness
« on: September 12, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »
How to Choose the Best Medium-Duty Pressure Cleaner: Guide and Recommendations

Medium-duty pressure cleaners are the most popular choice and, often,  The Best Rated Pressure Washers Reviews: TOP 10 Best Pressures Washer, as they are suitable for families. They are reasonable in price and are getting stronger in terms of power. In addition, they are quite versatile, they can handle both light-duty jobs and heavy-duty cleaning.

You can find either electric or gas versions of medium-duty pressure cleaners, with pressure ranging from 1,700 to 2,800 PSI and prices from $120 to $350.

This review includes some general guidelines for the usage of medium-duty pressure cleaners.

Gas or Electric?

This is a hard question to answer and it may require additional information before you make your final decision. Here, we list several of the main features of electric and gas cleaners so that you will find it easier to choose the best pressure cleaner for your own needs.

Electric

One of the biggest advantages of electric products compared to gas ones is that they do not require trips to the gas station. However, electric products have cords, which can limit their range. For this reason, the electric pressure cleaner is preferred by people who will be doing more indoor cleaning, as an electric outlet will always be nearby.

Moreover, an electric-style washer will be friendly to your ears because it is much quieter than gas ones. This seems like a minor point but if you will be cleaning for several hours, this factor may drive your decision.

In terms of price, an electric-style washer is more budget-friendly, though it is also less durable.

Gas

Obviously, a gas-style washer needs gas for fuel. However, you will not be bothered by an electric cord. You can clean anywhere, even very far from your house. Moreover, gas-powered engines are much more powerful and durable than those powered by electricity.

In terms of the cons, the smell and noise are the most common complaints about gas pressure cleaners. Moreover, they cost more than electric products on the market, as well as require more maintenance.

What is the top pressure cleaner powered by gas?

Generac 6922 2,800 PSI 2.4 GPM

Generac introduced a new line of residential pressure washers that is on the list of Best pressure washer on the market. Generac’s 2,800 PSI and 2.4 GPM model offers great performance, a good value for the money, and a robust design.

For less than $300, you can have one of the best gas-powered medium-duty products on the market.

Generac’s 2,800 PSI and 2.4 GPM model features a high-quality OHV engine that is strong enough for even heavy-duty cleaning and is very stable. It can last for years.

The performance is quite diverse owing to the design of four quick-change nozzles. Basically, it can handle all kinds of cleaning, from blasting to spraying, and it allows you to switch smoothly without worrying about over-applying pressure on the surface.

What is the best medium-duty, electric-powered power washer?

AR Blue Clean AR383 1,900 PSI 1.5 GPM

Like most electric pressure washers, this model is much cheaper than gas-powered ones. The awesome AR Blue Clean AR383 costs only $150 -- a small amount of money for a washer with 1,900 PSI and 1.5 GPM. Hence, many consider this the best value pressure washer on the market.

Though its motor is just a universal one, the pump is really high quality, as it is made of aluminium. This product is perfect for indoor use because it is quiet and creates no smoke.

Conclusion

If you have a family, medium-duty pressure cleaners are the most suitable options for you. You will need to choose between a gas or electric cleaner; we hope What is the best pressure washer will help you make that decision.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 12:47:06 PM by terryreynolds »

Birddog6

Re: Recommended Brass Plate Thickness
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 01:06:42 PM »
Show a photo. If it is the end that goes over the edge of the buttplate, it needs to be thick enough it doesn't
bend easily.

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 08:43:32 PM »
I use 1/8" brass for that part.  I get the brass secured on the end of the box lid so that roughly 1/2 of the thickness of the brass end is standing proud of the butt plate exterior surface proper.  You then file away the brass plate to match the contour of the butt plate.  You are able to carry onto the end of the box lid the subtle angles and pitches of the butt plate making the two look as if they are of the same part - in theory anyways.  Your results may vary!
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 03:53:10 AM »
Remember that most of these box lid caps were fairly thin as was the exposed edge of the buttplate.
I typically use .050 to .060”  thick brass.
To fit it to the curve of the lid and the buttplate I start by inserting the lid into the stock and file the wood to match the contour of the butt plate.
Then to make room for the thickness of the brass cap I take a piece of scrap of the same thickness brass and place it between the front of the box cavity and the front edge of the lid so that the lid extends beyond the butt plate by that same thickness.
Now I repeat the contouring process of the end of the lid .  once I remove the shim in the front of the cavity and replace the lid, it leaves just enough space on the end of the lid for the thickness of the brass cap.
I then fit and fasten the annealed brass cap to the end of the lid and tap it in place to match the contour of the wood.
A little more filing with the lid back in place and everything blends together.

I hope that’s clear.  Like many of my methods it’s probably overly complicated.   :)

Jeff

There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Online Jerry

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 05:00:13 AM »
Very good instructions for installing the brass plate to sliding wooden patch box. Especially the spacer in front of the lid the same thickness as the end plate to be installed. Great! Jerry

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 06:52:40 AM »

Hard to tell, but the endplate is ever so slightly angled forward to match the edge of the buttplate.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6420.0
This is a link to the Jost Herbach rifle with more views of the endplate.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:07:06 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Not English

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
I use 1/8" brass and mount it a little proud of the butt plate so I have plenty of metal to follow the curves of the butt plate when filing. Pay attention to Jeff"s and Sidelock's reply and you wont have a problem.

Dave

Offline RAT

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 06:23:34 PM »
The easiest answer... the same thickness as the edge of the butt plate.
Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 07:11:08 PM »
The easiest answer... the same thickness as the edge of the butt plate.

That's how thick it needs to be when it is finished.  But you have to start with thicker brass so you have something to file down to the buttplate's contour.  At least, I do.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.