Author Topic: Burlapse...  (Read 1832 times)

Online Frozen Run

Burlapse...
« on: September 15, 2021, 10:18:41 AM »
I purchased some burlap feed bags with the intention of making haversacks but the weave is a bit loose near the bottom on them. Is there some way to process them that will tighten up the weave that is permanent? Are there any uses for the burlap bags if this is not possible? Thank you for your help in the matter.       

Offline foxm2015

Re: Burlapse...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 04:36:52 PM »
Am not sure what process would work to tighten up the weave on this material.

Have made cooler, water jug, and other covers for modern camp items with burlap.

Hope this helps.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 05:36:07 PM »
Burlap will snag on stuff. It’s great for soaking and beating down grass fires. Great for toting heavy smooth stuff. Anything pokey will snag in it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline heinz

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 11:35:33 PM »
You could sew the burlap to a linen or duck bottom and back.  You would get the ventilation of the burlap front with the strength of the back and bottom material.  You did not really think there was going to be an easy way, did you/
kind regards, heinz

Online Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 07:26:54 AM »
You did not really think there was going to be an easy way, did you

No, but getting told to go beat grass fires did make me laugh so pitching them won't be a complete loss.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 10:53:45 AM »
They work great for storing your camp items in, especially the ones that get a layer of soot on them from a campfire. Frying pan, coffee pot, etc.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 04:19:43 PM »
You could try hemp. Do a search for hemp products. They do make a very heavy burlap type cloth that is finer and more densely woven.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 05:32:09 PM »
Old flour sacks work well and you can often find them at flea markets or antique shows.  Flour sack towels are available, but I don't think they are as heavy as the originals.  Also, I was able to get some money bags from my bank years ago.  They make excellent bags for camp gear and I made some small bags to keep my green coffee beans, yellow peas, and parched corn in.  My current haversack is made from a linen lab cover that I got from a friend who worked at the VA research hospital in Chicago.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 06:10:07 PM »
You could reinforce the bottom with a leather base.  Several pics online of haversacks with reinforced leather bottoms.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 12:35:10 AM »
Just a thought Top Jaw, but if a person could work and afford leather, why would they use burlap versus better woven cloth? 

Burlap is pretty loose, cheap stuff. 

Online Frozen Run

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 03:47:55 PM »
Just for the record, I do work and can afford leather.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 06:56:53 PM »
Frozen Run. No insult was intended sir. 

What I meant was that back 200 years ago, I do not believe that someone who worked leather would have combined it with burlap.  I think they would have used a stronger cloth.

Please excuse my poor choice of words.

Online Frozen Run

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 07:57:43 PM »
No offense taken.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:20:51 PM by Frozen Run »

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 11:21:38 PM »
The bags that hold 25 lb of Jasmine Rice are pretty useful, but definitely not burlap or hemp.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.