Author Topic: O Winston Link Museum and the Historical Society of Western Virginia  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Molly

This may be of interest if you are not too far away.

https://roanokehistory.org/june-30-lecture-opens-talks-on-botetourt-county-history/

They have about 9 long rifles and two pistols made in the area.  John Wilson, John Painter, George Peterman, John Sites and one by McGilvray.  McGilvray is mostly connected to Rockingham County, VA but one displayed is said to have been made before he went up North and while he was working with Peterman.  Some nice guns.  Multiple Painter's and Wilson's and maybe Sites as well.  All are pretty nice.

The exhibit is supposed to run through early October and the "presentation" will be on youtube in a couple days. 

Senior admission is normally $5.00 but I don't think they are charging anything for the program tomorrow.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
Re: O Winston Link Museum and the Historical Society of Western Virginia
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 12:45:35 AM »
Molly,

Thanks for posting this. I had direct ancestors living in Enterprise beginning in the late 18th Century, The McIntires.

Kent

"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 12:46:38 AM »
This may be of interest if you are not too far away.

https://roanokehistory.org/june-30-lecture-opens-talks-on-botetourt-county-history/

They have about 9 long rifles and two pistols made in the area.  John Wilson, John Painter, George Peterman, John Sites and one by McGilvray.  McGilvray is mostly connected to Rockingham County, VA but one displayed is said to have been made before he went up North and while he was working with Peterman.  Some nice guns.  Multiple Painter's and Wilson's and maybe Sites as well.  All are pretty nice.

The exhibit is supposed to run through early October and the "presentation" will be on youtube in a couple days. 

Senior admission is normally $5.00 but I don't think they are charging anything for the program tomorrow.

Thanks Molly, I will be watching the you tube video. I hope he has some info on the Simpson's that lifed in Botetourt County circa 1740's
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:54:59 AM »
Dennis:

I think it says the youtube will be up in about 2 days following the presentation but it will be live on their facebook page.  We do not do facebook.

Also, maybe it is a brain cramp, but where is Enterprise Virginia?

.............oh, I found it.  It's actually in now WV and quite a bity north of the current Botetourt County.

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 03:02:30 AM »

It was Virginia at one time. Don't know how the current residents of W. Va. feel about that but a great song was written by John Denver about West Virginia!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=john+denver+songs&&view=detail&mid=5A593313B2F0107130DF5A593313B2F0107130DF&rvsmid=2D0AD9382B
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 04:37:54 PM »
 ;) ;)... Thanx, Molly,... !!! ... I will see if I can figure out how to watch on FakeBook this evening,.. !!! ... I still have plans to come up to Nelson Co. and shake my family tree sometime,... btw,... any new Tennessee rifles moved into your home lately,..? ... regards to Allan and yourself,.. Cades Cove fiddler,...

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 05:27:49 PM »
Dennis:

I think it says the youtube will be up in about 2 days following the presentation but it will be live on their facebook page.  We do not do facebook.

.............oh, I found it.  It's actually in now WV and quite a bity north of the current Botetourt County.
I don't do Facebook either but do have an account for events like this, will watch it live tonight.

Remember back in early 1700's Botetourt County ran west to the Mississippi
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »
Yes, that is correct however I think the northern line ran straight to just beyond the NE tip of Illinois and cut through what is now central and southern West Va.  Enterprise is up in the Clarksburg/Morgantown area I think and if all that is correct then Enterprise was never technically in Botetourt County.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 06:04:14 PM »
 Please post a link when it shows up om You Tube.

Thanks, Tim

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 08:15:45 PM »
Enterprise was never technically in Botetourt County.

Enterprise is in Harrison County WV.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 03:12:50 AM »
 ::) ::).... tried to watch on  FakeBook live feed,... sound quality was so poor, I got aggravated and turned it off,... saw they had the same problem on some other archived videos they posted,.. hope the YouTube video is better,.... CCF... :( :( :(

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 04:27:49 AM »
::) ::).... tried to watch on  FakeBook live feed,... sound quality was so poor, I got aggravated and turned it off,... saw they had the same problem on some other archived videos they posted,.. hope the YouTube video is better,.... CCF... :( :( :(
Well you got further than me. Could not get a picture or sound! I hate facebook even more than I did before!
Dennis

Offline Molly

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
We were in the second row from the front and it was not good there either.  Honestly feel it was not the "system" but WG was just not taking advantage and using the mic. Two significant discoveries for me.  First, John Sites was said to have a shop that produced 75 guns a year.  G claims that it was a big operation.  It certainly was big in Missouri but for some reason I thought the Fincastle operation was basically a one or two man operation.  The Peterman shop was also apparently a significant operation.  Secondly, there are still a awful lot of dotted (fuzzy) lines connecting guns, people and events.  On the way home something hit me.  With such a prolific number of common names used for generations, (for example John Wilson aka Jno Wilson) might it be possible that somewhere along the line a researcher without know it, jumps a line and begins moving down the wrong path?  BTW, the room was full.  Several seemed to have a personal relationship with G and there were a lot of pre and post presentation conversations.  A couple questions from the audience suggested the attendees were somewhat in the dark about the subject under discussion. 

Very good evening.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 02:42:32 PM »
~~~~~~On the way home something hit me.  With such a prolific number of common names used for generations, (for example John Wilson aka Jno Wilson) might it be possible that somewhere along the line a researcher without know it, jumps a line and begins moving down the wrong path? 

Yes you are correct about these types of errors. My Gillespie line (also a Botetourt County family) was full of those type errors, some of them evidently occured many years ago and became undisputed foundations for many family trees. Most of the incorrect research happened before the internet became so prolific with "proven" family genealogy.  When the Gilledpie DNA project came about,  it caused grest turmoil, many Gillepie family trees suddenly came crashing down. Many just could not believe that years of family history suddenly just fell apart. Some refused to believe that certain family lines/history that DNA proved to be invalid.

Dennis

Offline BFox

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 07:11:38 PM »
Here's the YouTube link:

I used headphones and it was much clearer.
As usual, Wallace is an amazing font of information. I sure hope he gets around to publishing more of it!
Bernie