Author Topic: Late English Half Stock Breech  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Big Bubba

Late English Half Stock Breech
« on: September 17, 2021, 01:24:38 AM »
Have most of my parts on order for the build and doing some preliminary layouts for the hooked breech. I was planning on using the R. E. Davis Late English/Ketland lock and the barrel will be 1.115" at the breech. I've got a hooked breech tang ( the face is 5/16" thick)  I was going to reshape to the English style and shape the breech plug that comes with the barrel to fit. The problem is if I put the vent hole liner in front of the breech plug, the lock bolster is not long enough to accept the lock bolt and clear the standing breech. I saw an older post where someone was trying to fix this after the fact. I have a drawing for the nock breeches that show the vent liner drilled right into the breech plug threads (which my plug has 1/2" deep threads. Is this something safe or feasible or do I need a different lock or look for a patent breech?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Late English Half Stock Breech
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 02:09:07 AM »
The style of breech you want is a chambered breech, not just a standard plug. You'll probably have to get somebody to machine and octagon section that screws into the breech of the barrel that you can chamber.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 02:33:17 AM »
Hi,
File a groove in the hook.  That was done all the time.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 03:20:43 AM »
Hi,
File a groove in the hook.  That was done all the time.

dave

The piece in your picture, I guess is what Mike calls a chambered breech. I do not have that. What Have is just a hook on a standard plug.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 04:02:58 AM »
Hi Bubba,
It doesn't matter. Just file a groove in the hook.

dave

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 03:35:00 PM »
Hi Bubba,
It doesn't matter. Just file a groove in the hook.

dave

Dave,

The clearance issue is with the female portion of the tang not just the hook. If I place the vent hole 5/8" from the back of the barrel, the backside of the female portion of the tang would be into where I can put the lock bolt. Can I file a groove in that for clearance also or do I need to thin that down. It is 5/16" thick, which looks like it may be thicker than the pictures of yours.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 03:50:07 PM »
Hi,
The standing breech does not need to be thick.  Here are some examples.  The first is one I made but the last photo shows two original English standing breehes and a modern commercial one on the right.  You can see how thin the originals were.

dave

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 04:03:53 PM »
Thanks Dave. I going to thin the one I have down which should give me the clearance or try TRS for one already shaped.