Author Topic: John Paul Jones  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Feltwad

John Paul Jones
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
I am researching the long guns of the naval man John Paul Jones,I am personally interested in the makers of these weapons mostly to see if they are British made.I understand that there are some of these guns housed in certain museums in the States  eg Hoover and JPJ musems ,I have emailed these museums  but they have not replied maybe some member can answer my request on these long guns.
Feltwad

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: John Paul Jones
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Feltwad, The United States Naval Academy, located in Annapolis Maryland, is where the tomb of John Paul Jones is located.  It is also the location of the Navy Museum.  It's a nice little museum with some firearms and other naval artifacts on display.  They also have a number of items belonging to JPJ.  You might want to contact them, they would probably have more information on him that anywhere else.

Frank

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
Frank
Thanks for the info but I have also contacted them ,they also did not reply to my e mail.
Feltwad

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:48:50 PM »
With most Museums, you need to put your request in writing in order to get any type of response.  I would precede or follow up by phone.  Emails generally don't get to the correct person.  Much better chance of a response.  Don't forget to let them know that it is an academic inquiry.  That also seems to help, whether you plan to publish or not.  Don't tell them it's hobby research., even if it is.  Most of these people want to share, but email is to impersonal.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?