Author Topic: Tennessee Rifle Trigger Guard Question  (Read 1837 times)

Offline RAT

Re: Tennessee Rifle Trigger Guard Question
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 05:56:05 PM »
Also...
The actual length of the plug might not be 3/8" long. It might need to be longer. It all depends on the depth of the ramrod hole. But you need about 3/8" where the screw will be. Sorry if that causes any confusion.

Now I'm confused...
If the plug and screw causes the ramrod to stick out the front... wouldn't the lug and pin do exactly the same? I mean, the screw is going in right around the same spot as the lug. Both would block the ramrod hole.

The lug/screw should end up somewhere below the lug on the back of the breech plug. If the ramrod hole is this deep, it was probably drilled too deep. The ramrod hole doesn't need to be any deeper than the length of the barrel. Then, when placed in the bore, the ramrod should stick out about 1/2"-5/8"... which is the length of the threads on the breech plug.
Bob

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »
I just looked at those positions on my gun. My rod is about 1/8" shorter than the bbl and stops 1/4" in front of the bow of the guard--which is about 1/8" short of the pin. I'm sure I made the lug as short as practical to help make this possible.  My rod is even with the bore when in the loops.
Hold to the Wind

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2021, 07:05:22 PM »
There is nothing wrong with pinning a TN guard but I will agree that the vast majority are screwed front and back. The problem with the front screw is if not done properly you can break out this piece of wood or strip the screw and the screw will be loose or not hold the front finial in place very well.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 07:08:51 PM »
Here is a picture of my Alfred Duncan trigger guard.

Jim Parker

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2021, 07:25:29 PM »
Here is a photo of my Charlie Bean copy, I placed the screws where there original rifle had it’s screws located. If the ramrod hole was drilled properly you have room for the screw between the trigger inlet and the end of the ramrod hole. If not patch the hole as others have suggested.

free image hosting
Jim Parker