Author Topic: Simple Trigger SMR "Bicycle" Rifle completed  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Shopdog

Simple Trigger SMR "Bicycle" Rifle completed
« on: September 18, 2021, 04:57:36 PM »
Awhile back I sought the sage advice of this forum on the use of simple single triggers in southern mountain rifles.  While rare they do exist.  Reason was I was looking for justification to what I already hoped to do: make one.  I wanted a stalking rifle that I could easily take off full cock without the clicking of set triggers.  I also needed a bicycle rifle.  St. Vincent Island is a national wildlife refuge off FL coast that offers muzzle loading/archery only hunts but there's no vehicles (you get there by boat).  I used to huff it on foot but am finally breaking down and bringing a bike so I can cover more ground.  Problem is my rifles are all of the longish sort (42-46" barrels) and I figured I'd build a shorter one with parts kicking around the shop that would be easier to carry on a bike.  For what it's worth here it is:  simple Po boy - no butt plate or entry thimble.  Forged iron trigger guard, 36" Colerain radius groove .45, and Chambers Late Ketland lock.  Curly maple stock.  Shoots fantastically well which ain't the shooter.  I chalk it up to an accurate barrel and the lock is one of the fastest most reliable flinters I've used so far.  For those into man purses - I made it from brain tanned deer hide with a super wide linen woven strap.  Horns are originals.  Measure is made from native river cane.  Goal was to make a bag/horn set that would sit flat and not move around while biking.

middle east airline crossword
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Simple Trigger SMR "Bicycle" Rifle completed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 05:50:02 PM »
That looks great.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 06:29:39 PM »
You done good.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 07:00:25 PM »
Interesting "need" and solution. Well done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 08:06:44 PM »
I think I’d call it a buggy rifle instead. Bicycle rifles tend to be even shorter, and would likely be uncommon in the Southern mountains.

Hungry Horse

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 08:23:56 PM »
What a near little rifle gun! Pretty piece of wood too!
Sounds like a little piece of paradise to hunt.  Any luck taking a Sambar?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 08:26:38 PM »
I was wondering, how do you carry a deer on a bicycle? :)

Offline martin9

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 08:55:48 PM »
Nice! a southern mountain bike rifle ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 09:01:12 PM »
I was wondering, how do you carry a deer on a bicycle? :)
Saw a picture of that once. Tied across the seat and centre-bar, 1/2 on each side and walked out.
Daryl

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 09:44:35 PM »
"What a near little rifle gun! Pretty piece of wood too!
Sounds like a little piece of paradise to hunt.  Any luck taking a Sambar?"

Alas not yet but I have seen plenty of sign.  Mostly I'm there for the white tail hunts.  For those that are interested the island has a stable population of Sambar deer (BIG like our elk) which were introduced half a century ago when St. Vincent was owned by an individual who used it as a hunting preserve.  Since they don't pose any threat to the local environment the feds let them be and manage the population with annual hunts.  St. Vincent is also home to a breeding population of the critically endangered Red Wolf - one of the few places left they're actually "wild" (sort of) and not in a captive breeding facility.  As for packing out your deer back to camp... it's not quite as "primitive" as it sounds - the refuge staff make a regular route with their pick-up truck throughout the day so if you get a deer you just have to drag it to the designated roads and they pick you and your deer up and bring you back to your camp. Other than that it's all by foot or bicycle - 12,000+ acres.  Beautiful place. 
Joe Davis

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 09:41:48 AM »
I've wandered that island a bit and have read about the hunts. Kind of intrigued me. What are the drawing odds?
Mike Lee

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 01:21:25 PM »
That's a very nice outfit, Shopdog!  The rifle is beautiful, and the whole ensemble is well thought out.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 10:26:16 PM »
I've wandered that island a bit and have read about the hunts. Kind of intrigued me. What are the drawing odds?
Mike - the white tail muzzloading hunt is first come till all 250 permits are sold - application period opens July.  Sambar is trickier - works on a drawing from applicants - opens may and then a second drawing later - myfwc.com has necessary info. 
Joe Davis

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 02:54:15 AM »
This Tennessee boy sure likes it. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 02:58:57 AM »
I suggest something North of .50 cal. for Sambar.  My Australian friends tell me they can be tenacious.
Daryl

Offline gus123

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 03:24:47 AM »
Nice looking rifle and accessories.
for the answer on how to haul a deer on a bike read "My first deer and welcome to it" by Patrick McManus.

Offline Dave

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 04:34:14 AM »
Very nice!

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 02:00:17 AM »
Nice looking rifle and accessories.
for the answer on how to haul a deer on a bike read "My first deer and welcome to it" by Patrick McManus.
Sounds like something I would do😅
Hopefully will get a chance this year at a buck.
Joe Davis

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 03:51:15 PM »
Back in the late '70's, early '80's, another Ranger and I took about 6 dozen feral hogs off St. Vincent.  Some by arrow, some with a rifle.
If I  recall correctly, they were mighty tasty.  We only kept a few for meat, most went to one or another Florida state prison.

So, how is the hog population now?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 04:24:52 PM »
Back in the late '70's, early '80's, another Ranger and I took about 6 dozen feral hogs off St. Vincent.  Some by arrow, some with a rifle.
If I  recall correctly, they were mighty tasty.  We only kept a few for meat, most went to one or another Florida state prison.

So, how is the hog population now?
Craig - the hog population was officially reduced to zero as of a few years ago.  There’s always the chance of a swimmer from the mainland making it over but there’s no longer a breeding population .  While the hunters and wolves helped what did the trick was a concerted trapping program.  The hogs were a serious threat to the sea turtle nests and nesting shorebirds on the island so we’re glad to see em gone.  Glad to know youve worked there. Beautiful place.
Joe Davis

Offline RMann

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
Wow, love your rifle, plans, and creativity!

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 11:50:01 PM »
Mike - the white tail muzzloading hunt is first come till all 250 permits are sold - application period opens July.  Sambar is trickier - works on a drawing from applicants - opens may and then a second drawing later - myfwc.com has necessary info. 

Thanks for the information.  I have access to boat transportation from St George so it's something I will consider.  250 permits is a bunch.  Wonder what the annual harvest is.
Mike Lee