Author Topic: Re-locking a Hawken  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Re-locking a Hawken
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 07:04:09 AM »
English Style engraving is quite pleasing on an English gun's lock.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 04:10:38 PM »
Here you go NB.  Most of the photos with the old junk lock. 

Sure like the rifling in that bore. A slight smoothing of the crown is all that is needed - imho..

Close examination of that barrel will reveal an 8 groove Alex Henry/Pope system.Bill and I discussed this idea after a close examination of my Henry barreled Whitworth that was 7 grooves.Bill KNEW how well that Whitworth shot and made the cutters needed for this job and I tested the first one in 54 caliber on his range from a rest and it worked.One local man said it would be OK for a bullet but not for a round ball.He was W-R-O-N-G  and he also shot the gun with patched BALLS and admitted he was wrong..Bill made a walnut half stocked rifle and used ONE breech and barrel size I shot it many times with different calibers and configurations of rifling and IMHO the one shown here is the BEST ever..After he passed away the gun vanished along with an S&W early 22 caliber pistol with a 2 digit serial number.About a year later I found the muzzle loader at a local gun show in the possession of an oaf that had NO idea as to what it was and when I told him ne still had no idea what I was talkng about and  would not say how he got it, I know how and who but can't say here and 35 years have passed.I'll leave it there.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 06:39:47 PM »
I see what you mean, Bob. The flat bottom of the grooves (best visible at about 8:30/9 o'clock), not radiused at all, with the groove deepest in the corners.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2021, 12:44:59 AM »
I see what you mean, Bob. The flat bottom of the grooves (best visible at about 8:30/9 o'clock), not radiused at all, with the groove deepest in the corners.

Exactly right and it DOES work.
Bob Roller

Offline BrentD

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2021, 01:23:18 AM »

Exactly right and it DOES work.
Bob Roller

Yes, it certainly does work.  :)