Author Topic: Abysmal day out.....no-good, rotten morning  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Marcruger

Abysmal day out.....no-good, rotten morning
« on: September 19, 2021, 12:22:15 AM »
Well, maybe not that bad, but I did drive 40 minutes each way, set up, shot TWO rounds and then cleaned up. 

Why two?   Humidity.  It was appalling.  It was 75 degrees when I started, and I was immediately soaked through to the skin.  It rained hard here yesterday afternoon, and I don't think the humidity dropped at all overnight.  The NWS listed the relative humidity at 91% last night before bed.   

The worst problem was that I couldn't see to shoot.  I'd put my glasses on, and they'd fog up before the count of three.  I'd wipe them, put them back on, and whoosh - fogged up again.  I tried my spare shooting glasses.  Same thing.  Maddening. 

I got off two offhand shots at a big plastic medicine bottle at 40 yards, and connected both times.  I was amazed, as the trigger broke each time just as I lost the view. 

Due to Daryl's recommended wet lubing process, each time I clean up I am only cleaning out basically one shot's worth of grunge from the bore.  That said, there was a lot o' scrubbing for just two shots.  And, I had to keep wiping my eyes and glasses to see to clean. 

Been one humid summer in the South this year. 

Enough whining!   

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Tilefish

Re: Abysmal day out.....no-good, rotten morning
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 01:53:51 AM »
Woke up this morning to go bow hunting. By the time I made it to my ladder I looked like I had just got out the shower. By 9:00 AM
it was 86 degree with 90% humidity. Did see two otters. Not sure it was worth it. Got to love hunting in south Florida. ;D
Chad

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 02:13:17 AM »
We finally after 3 months got a good soaking. The difference is our humidity is like 72% but it is only 63 degrees. Feel like going for a walk in the rain just to remember what it feels like.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 08:08:21 AM »
I feel your pain, Marc, even though that has never happened to me. Nothing worse than heat AND humidity.

Right now, at 10:04 PM, it is 8C (about 46F I guess) and the highest humidity I have seen here in a long time. 96%.
It's been raining most of the day, at a high of 14C (57F). No fogging of glasses, though. The heat does that, coupled with the humidity.
From your experience, it appears 75F will do it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 08:18:40 AM »
My sympathies, Marc!  I despise humidity such as that myself!!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »
Yeah, we get that weather here on Delmarva, too.  Great when it coincides with match day at the BP club!  One of the local weathermen always says it's like walking out the door and into a dog's mouth.   :)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 04:06:31 PM »
There are several brands of anti fog spray for glasses. I used it when hunting southeast Alaska and it really works
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 07:01:31 PM »
I will take a look Dan.  My daily glasses are coated with anti-fog, but it sure failed yesterday. 

Osprey, yes it was dog’s mouth bad yesterday!  😂

I will say that this southern weather also grows God’s prettiest trees ( Live Oaks ), Long Leaf Pines, and azaleas. 

God bless, Marc

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 07:26:52 PM »
   Try wearing a hazmat suit for a few hours on a hot, sunny day.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 08:12:45 PM »
   Try wearing a hazmat suit for a few hours on a hot, sunny day.
Or full welding gear. Used to get home and my leather boots and belt were soaked through with sweat.

Marc, cheer up, won’t be long and it will be perfect weather time. Looks like today will probably be our last of the 90’s hot, humid weather for the year in my area. Cold front comes through tomorrow, then we’re looking at 60’s-70’s into early October.

Bob

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 12:20:02 AM »
Here in north FL I’m just so used to black sludge in the pan after every shot I find it weird to go to wipe the pan out and it’s clean! Doesnt happen often but every now and then we get a dry air day here in the winter and I can shoot the flinters all day without lookin like I rolled in black mud!
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline Not English

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 02:39:56 AM »
Marc, I can certainly sympathize with the humidity. Here in southern Wi. we are in the middle of a drought. In spite of being 12" short of average rainfall, none of the humidity resulted in the usual thunderstorms this summer. Spalding as a retired welder, I can sympathize. When i worked for Dairy Equipment Co. they used to have window AC's mounted on adjustable frames so they would line up with the manholes when the tank was on it's side. We used to hole up in a tank until fully welded except for lunch.

Dave

Offline Marcruger

Re: Abysmal day out.....no-good, rotten morning.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 07:28:47 PM »
After this whining post, the Good Lord sought fit to break the long summer of humidity.  I had a great day out on Friday, and got some fine groups in load testing.  Wonderful weather here in the South all weekend.  Bright bluse skies, no haze, mid-to-upper 70s, and upper 50s at night.  Loooow humidity.  Who could ask for more. 

I do feel for y'all who have to work in rough conditions in this heat.

When an engineering intern in college, I was sent out to inspect a built-up roof on a warehouse at the Ports.  Hot asphalt.  I climbed the ladder, and surveyed the steaming roof and men hard at work.  I told the foreman who I was, and he nodded and eyed me.  A couple of minutes later, he said, "Young man, get down that ladder now."  I argued, "No, I have to inspect the work."  He replied, "I said, get down that ladder NOW."  About that time I started feeling dizzy and headed for the ladder.  When I got to the ground the foreman was right behind me.   He led me over to the water cooler, and had me drink three glasses.  I asked, "How did you know I was not doing well before I did?"  He said, "I've done this all my life.  I can read the signs.  You were turning pale grey, and I didn't want to have to pick you up and carry you down that ladder. It's much easier when you can move on your own."  I realized I was nowhere near the man that those workers were.  Day after day, working in that heat.  I have great respect for men who work with their hands in tough conditions. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 07:55:58 PM »
Years ago when CWA (Communication Workers of America) tech's were on strike I was sent to Danville to work strike duty. It had been several years since I had been a tech so I was not used to working outdoors in the heat/humidity. Well Danvile is always pretty hot/humid in the summer but that year was a record breaker. On of the first trouble reports I went on was in a tobacco Stemary where the stripped the stems out of tobacco. It was a long metal roofed building with no AC. The needed the heat/humidity to keep the tobacco in "order" which means damp enough for it not to shatter the leaf. It had to be 120 under that metal roof since it was over 100 degrees outside and humidity must have been 95%+. The problem was in the wiring to a phone in the far end of the building. I thought I was going to pass out before I found and fixed the problem. All the while ther were a number of ladies working there that looked cool as cucumbers, not me  I looked like wilted lettuce! Goes to show how humans can acclimate to different work environments.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 09:37:10 PM »
Heat and humidity, I do not like.  Yet, when a kid back in South Western Ontario, I played baseball in that heat and humidity - today, I cannot
understand how we did it.
Not a cloud in the sky, with 104F and 100% humidity. THAT'S South Western Ontario in the summer. Those great lakes surrounding that area
are where the humidity comes from.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 01:20:22 PM »
I will take a look Dan.  My daily glasses are coated with anti-fog, but it sure failed yesterday. 

Osprey, yes it was dog’s mouth bad yesterday!  😂

I will say that this southern weather also grows God’s prettiest trees ( Live Oaks ), Long Leaf Pines, and azaleas. 

God bless, Marc

Dog's mouth bad! That's a good one ;D. Here in the Ohio Valley this Summer has been a horror story and
it was "Breathe only if you have to or can remember how to.".It's 109 feet from my air conditioned shop to
the back door of the house and with the heat and humidity it felt like a city block.
Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 05:30:12 PM »
Hate that you had such a time "enjoying" the out of doors. In our region the humidity is nearly always 100 percent in the morning. I've never seen it "go down" over night.  It usually goes up.

Then the sun rises and starts driving temps up and humidity down (barring precip of course). Humidity then drops all day long as temps rise and then late in the day, as the sun dips to the horizon and temps start dropping, the dew begins to form and humidity climbs back up through the evening and everything is wet again in the morning. 

Today it was 100% when I got up and still is 100% despite a 10 degree rise in temps already.  The air is light, so it will drop pretty good once the dew gets dried off.  It has dipped into the 30's and 40's percentage-wise over the last three days, but humidity is almost never constant across the length of the day, unless it's raining. 

Pull up a three-day history on the NWS forecast page to see a listing of weather numbers collected every 20 minutes. There you can see the regular swings of temp/humidity etc. Find "three day history" in the "more information" column to the right of the currently reported humidity etc., near the top of the local forecast page.

Worst case of glasses fogging I ever had was on a bike--where I'd gotten them totally fogged up climbing the hill and then was screaming down the other side---blinded by my fogged over lenses that were wiped clear at the top. :o
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:34:28 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 05:42:41 PM »
Marcruger,

Hey I'm not far from you and yes we are always 90+ humidity. I hate my glasses fogging and have tried several anti-fog wipes but they don't help much. For my pan I use alcohol wipes after every shot. If you don't your priming powder turns to mud. I think a bow and arrow is a better choice. I'm glad I don't have to live off of a flintlock year round.

Sam

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 08:11:05 PM »
A friend once told me he used soap and water to clean his glasses but always smeared a little soap on each lenses AFTER they were clean. Then he dried them with a paper barely damp towel. The soap residue left on the lenses kept them from fogging.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline AZshot

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 04:10:53 AM »
I'm in Arizona and we've had more rain this summer than in 30-40 years.  That humidity really is bac when it's 103 degrees most of July and Aug!  But finally we're getting into the fall weather...getting nice, and drying out.

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2021, 05:13:03 PM »
AZ, I am next door in New Mexico near the White Sands, and we had a very generous monsoon here as well. The weeds absolutely loved it. Enjoying the cooler temps and fall mornings!
I do not envy the members here who deal with the humidity in so much of the country.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2021, 11:19:12 PM »
Being a native of the Deep South I was so used to it that it was "just one of those things" and I never thought about it that much.  Now I live in a state with four (4) actual seasons and likely would notice the heat/humidity now.  If it weren't for the tons of bugs in that soup it would have been not worth mentioning to me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.