Author Topic: Is the Morphys “Attributed Christian Springs Fowler” Actually Christian Springs?  (Read 1103 times)

Online Curtis

• Missouri
It very well could be.  However to my eye it looks like a restock of parts done as the individual perceived what it could have been, the carving appears rather deep and amateurish.  Just an opinion,

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
I am not seeing any of the hallmarks of a Christians Spring gun. No step wrist, no similarity in carving, dissimilar cheekpiece, unfamiliar sideplate, and so on. In my view this should not be attributed to Christians Spring. No basis.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
It's stocked in Euro Walnut..... ::) It came out of Germany somewhere. Chris Immel could probably pin it down to a specific area over there. Somebody should be shot over that write up.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
I thought we already discussed this one briefly in another thread somewhere?  It's pretty obviously a beat to heck European gun.

Everybody get ready, "Christian's Spring" and "Moravian" are going to be the new auction buzzwords for everything from matchlocks to mausers.

Sincerely, Curly.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Chris_B

Everybody get ready, "Christian's Spring" and "Moravian" are going to be the new auction buzzwords for everything from matchlocks to mausers.

Sincerely, Curly.

Since my first name is Christian and there is a spring near
where I live, do you think I should offer my old stuff
for sale under that label ?  ;D
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Sounds like a plan!!!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Ats5331

I thought we already discussed this one briefly in another thread somewhere?  It's pretty obviously a beat to heck European gun.

Sincerely, Curly.

Eric, I think that discussion was the auction in May with the “Andreas Albrecht” rifle. To me, this looks more European

Offline spgordon

Sincerely, Curly.

It was discussed in this thread a month ago:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=67193.msg674245;topicseen#msg674245
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook