Author Topic: Drillpress setup for Bbl lug and RR pipe pins  (Read 1675 times)

Offline flehto

Drillpress setup for Bbl lug and RR pipe pins
« on: September 27, 2021, 05:56:44 PM »
Have done  accurate drilling for the bbl lugs and RR pipes on all my builds w/ this setup using the center punched locations on the stock and a 1/16 drill which drills completely  through to the other side w/ only chip clearing as a slight interruption. Drilling the 4 bbl lug holes takes approx. 15-20 mins {3 RR pipes slightly less time}  which includes  fastening  the 2 clamps at each lug  and one clamp for each  RR pipe. After the first hole is drilled, a length of music wire is pressed into the hole and the same is done w/  all subsequent holes.....the clamps are then moved to the next lug or RR pipe. All the RR pipes have only one pin  hole.

The bbl/stock ass'y is clamped in my very accurate vise w/ the top bbl flat against the permanent jaw. A parallel  keeps the ass'y horizontal.

The vertical locations of all the holes are scribed using a depth mike measuring from the top of the forestock   and the cross  lines are scribed by "eyeball".

Bought a "C" clamp type drill jig  but after trying it out, promptly sold it....way too slow....but many like them. ....Fred

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:02:05 PM by flehto »

Offline 45-110

Re: Drillpress setup for Bbl lug and RR pipe pins
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 08:24:16 PM »
Wow that whole set up makes me cringe! A bigger/larger vise, proper clamping and a support out at the forearm end would assure that the work is secure. Many people have always considered a drill press harmless and stretch its usefulness, yet much can go wrong fast, at the very least damage to the project. The table plywood extension appears to be sagging and not 90 Deg. to spindle?
kw

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 10:30:44 PM »
I like it Fred.  Now if only I had a drill press.  I think that can be adapted to a hand drilling jig.
kind regards, heinz

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 07:24:00 AM »
Hi 45/110....Have done approx. 2 dozen MLers w/ the pictured setup for drilling the bbl lug and RR pipe pin holes w/o any complications whatsoever and all I've ever used for pins  are lengths of 1/16 dia   hardened music wire. I start w/  a 1/16 dia drill at 1400 RPM and just drill through w/ a few chip clearings. Not complicated at all....don't need a "heavy duty" setup for a 1/16" drill.....Fred
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 05:18:02 AM by flehto »

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 02:56:09 AM »
Drilling these holes, and especially for barrel keys is why I very much prefer using a flat sided plank rather than a precarve.  Chamber's kits have a squa
re foreaem that quallifies.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 05:13:46 AM »
Hi....as you can see, using the top flat of the bbl against the permanent jaw of the vise  yields holes that are  parallel  to the bottom flat of the bbl. The stock is only  used to clamp the bbl/stock ass'y in the vise. Although the stock at that stage looks like a precarve, it was from a blank....it's just easier to clamp squarely against the vise jaw.....Fred

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 02:00:10 PM »
Thanks for this one, Fred.  I started with a clamp because I could not drill by eye or with a level on the drill.  That pic will add to solving my own inability.

Can one of you coyotes tell me what a #46 drill equates to in inches?

Thanks

Capgun

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 02:24:17 PM »
.0810 in.   
Mike Mullins

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 02:27:47 PM »
https://www.custompartnet.com/drill-size-chart

Found this chart ……..might be handy at times

Mikeyfirelock
Mike Mullins

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
Thanks Mikey

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 05:02:43 AM »
I use a sort of similar procedure, but place the barrel in the stock at 90 degrees, then mark a vertical line on the side of the stock at each point where a hole will be drilled.   I then place the barrel on the table of the press against a board ( or other 90 degree fixture) clamped to the table and adjust it until the point of the drill will contact the place on the vertical line where the hole should be ( or in the case of barrel loops where the drill will just clear the bottom of the hole in the loop.  Then place the barrel in the stock, and clamp barrel and stock and board all together with drill on the vertical line.   This way the drill is positioned both vertically and laterally in the proper place .    So far this has worked well and is simple and  accurate if all are positioned securely and carefully.  I have done this on both squared up stocks, and also on shaped stocks IF THE LOCK PANELS ARE SQUARED WITH THE TOP BARREL FLAT  ( a sort of small but important point. ).  If not square the  hole will still hit where it should but will be higher ( or lower) on one or the other sides.  (Still functional, but sort of cosmetically like shaving your sideburns when drunk.)

I remain, respectfully, your Hoosier example of  muzzleloading’s Occam’Razor.   Mikeyfirelock
Mike Mullins

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
 Where can I find this clamp?   Al
Alan K. Merrill