Author Topic: Escutcheon Inlay Question  (Read 1282 times)

Offline JLayne

Escutcheon Inlay Question
« on: September 21, 2021, 02:30:25 PM »
I would like to inlet the large escutcheon inlay depicted below into the lower forestock of my Kibler Colonial. The inlay is German silver and is  over 2 1/2” long and roughly 1/2” tall (guesstimate), and the surface of the forestock is very rounded in that area. The inlay is not very thick, so it seems to me that it will need to be bent lengthwise to match the stock curvature before inletting so I don’t create a flat spot in the stock when I file it down. Any ideas for a way to bend it without distorting it’s overall shape?

Thanks in advance.
Jay

Offline T*O*F

Re: Escutcheon Inlay Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 03:11:09 PM »
I choose an impact socket that has the same curvature as the stock.  Place the inlay on a lead block, position the socket correctly, and whack it with a dead blow hammer.  I suppose a wood block could be used as well.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 03:40:15 PM »
I once used a kitchen rolling pin to get the curvature.  Combined with a concave block of hardwood, did the job well.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 04:07:38 PM »
I have a blacksmith's swage block for that sort of thing.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Adrie luke

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:22:18 PM »
I use engraving thermolock make it soft and press it on the insert spot.
When it's hard roll the escutcheon with a round bar of iron.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 02:30:14 AM »
Personally, I would not use this inlay on this rifle, I would use this on a late flint and/or percussion rifle. If you really want to use an inlay I think a simple oval would be more appropriate. I enjoy making my own inlays and such and it's not very hard.
When ever I work with brass or German silver I make sure to annealed the metal and to make it fit a rounded surface I simply use two pliers and put the slightest bend in them. Being very soft they bend extremely easy.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 02:42:56 AM »
Personally, I would not use this inlay on this rifle, I would use this on a late flint and/or percussion rifle. If you really want to use an inlay I think a simple oval would be more appropriate.

Well since the topic has been broached…
I agree.  Just sayin.   ;)

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 03:02:23 AM »
x3 on the simple oval instead.  As mentioned, a socket or round stock of appropriate diameter will work.  I have good luck using hose clamps to coax the annealed material into shape around the socket or round stock. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 03:19:31 AM »
 This particular inlay is common to just a few Pennsylvania makers, and surrounding regions. It is most often seen on the cheekpiece if the inlay is quite large, and under the cheekpiece in the size you picture. 

Hungry Horse
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:12:47 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 03:56:46 PM »
Personally, I would not use this inlay on this rifle, I would use this on a late flint and/or percussion rifle. If you really want to use an inlay I think a simple oval would be more appropriate.

Well since the topic has been broached…
I agree.  Just sayin.   ;)

Jeff
Ditto
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?