Author Topic: Source for Jim Whisker's books  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Source for Jim Whisker's books
« on: September 22, 2021, 05:35:13 AM »
I just posted info in the Recent books forum that may be of interest to some:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=67759.0
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:13:39 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_B

Re: Source for Jim Whisker's books
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
Try to open the link says an error has occured...?
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 03:16:44 PM »
 Worked for me, try it again or go to the Home page and click "Recent Books" at the top.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=451.0

Tim

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 04:10:50 PM »
Dennis meanwhlile changed the URL, works for me now, too
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 04:43:58 PM »
The link worked for me.  Thanks, Dennis!

However...  I was trying to get ahold of a copy of James Whisker's Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen of Missouri a year or two ago, and had a difficult time of it.  I didn't want to just mail a check to Dr. Whisker if the book was not available, and I was unable to reach him to confirm.  I bought a copy off Ebay, but the merchant failed to deliver, and my money was refunded.  I then bought a copy from Amazon, but found it was a reprint or second edition.  Not a bad thing in itself, but I can't believe Dr. Whisker would have approved it.  There are numerous typographical errors and redundancies, and apart from the cover illustration (with no identification of the guns shown), there are no photographs or illustrations of guns.  There are a very few reproductions of photographs of gunmakers, but no guns.    Oddly, the title page and back cover are illustrated with 21st century paintings of bearded, buckskin-clad "mountain men."  This book has all the appearances of a paperback "print on demand" book, by people with no knowledge of or interest in the subject matter, and in fact there is a note on the acknowledgements page that the book was "Printed in the United States of America by Create Space a Division of Amazon" (with no punctuation).

Fortunately, a member of this forum had a stock of Dr. Whisker's books, all brand-new, first editions, that he was selling on the ALR Classifieds.  I bought a copy of Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen of Missouri from him, and the book is excellent. 

Fortunately, the covers of the first edition and the reprint are different, so you can tell which one you are buying.  The first edition (the one you want!) is shown on the left.  The Amazon reprint is on the right:

I found there was a difference in formatting, also, in that the first edition has the text arranged in two columns, while in the reprint the text is in a single column extending across each page.  For a reference like this, I prefer the two columns, but that is a matter of personal preference.  The formatting difference, as well as some redundancy in the text, results in the reprint using a lot more paper, with 242 pages and no firearm illustrations, as opposed to 128 pages with a lot of full-page gun illustrations in the first edition, and yet the font size in the two books is about the same.

In fairness, the reprint is a very good and comprehensive directory, with plenty of good information, and they actually fixed a couple of errors in alphabetization from the first edition, and if it is your only option, it will still be a good reference.  However, I find the first edition preferable in every way.  Again, that would be the one on the left, in the photo above.

Finally, both of the Whisker books, first edition and reprint, are simple, alphabetical listings of gunsmiths by name with more or less biographical information derived primarily from census records.  For persons interested in old-time gunsmiths of Missouri, I would recommend getting Victor Paul's Missouri Gunsmiths to 1900 in addition to the Whisker book.  While not as comprehensive, Mr. Paul's book has, in addition to the alphabetical listing, a county directory of gunsmiths, more illustrations of historic firearms, and some very useful appendices.  The Whisker and Paul books complement each other.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:52:06 PM by Notchy Bob »
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 05:10:22 PM »
For a selection of Whisker books, go to cornellpubs.com
Type Whisker in the search box.

These are "print on demand" editions and were authorized by Dr. Whisker.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline AZshot

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 06:13:09 PM »
I saw those Cornell the other day, after buying a used copy off the forum.  I'm glad to get the original publishing, I'm not sure how Cornell works, they seem to offer just about every old gun catalog too, for pennies.  Hope the authors of Whisker's books, and he, get their royalties. 

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »
It's interesting what he wrote about me and my book.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 06:34:32 AM »
I checked the Cornell Pubs website, and the titles they show appear to be reprints of Dr. Whisker's first editions.  Unfortunately, the list of available titles is pretty short, but hopefully they will expand their listing.  I would not hesitate to buy from them, if they had a title I wanted. 

The reprint problems I described in my post above pertained to the book from Amazon.

Thanks for the tip, regarding Cornell Pubs! 

Notchy Bob
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:59:24 PM by Notchy Bob »
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 04:58:20 AM »
Cornell does a very good job. No - their reprints are rarely as nice as the original but they never claim that. They are entirely up front about what they are doing and they make available many items that would otherwise be impossible to obtain - at least in a timely fashion.