Author Topic: Black streaks on kibler rifle finish  (Read 5503 times)

Offline ettoreR

Black streaks on kibler rifle finish
« on: September 23, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »
Hello everyone,  I was cleaning my Kibler colonial rifle last night and the toothpick in my touchhole didn't plug it enough, a stream of black powder infused water dripped down my stock and left these black streaks that are set into the stock. Any recommendations on how to get this out? worst case scenario ill just sand these areas down and re-finish it...

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Black streaks on kibler rifle finish
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 04:57:38 PM »
It probably depends on the finish you used as to how easy it comes off. I would try some clean warm water first.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:09:33 PM »
This should be the test for gun finishes.
Andover, Vermont

Offline DavidC

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:23:46 PM »
Rich, tell us where his shortcoming might be as regards the finish and how we can avoid it.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 05:42:29 PM »
My first thought...leave it. You couldn't keep it there, long term, if you wanted to. And guys work hard or pay good money to take a shortcut to age and patina.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 05:55:51 PM »
If you are going to use a gun those things will happen. And it will happen again. It wouldn't bother me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline ettoreR

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 06:01:58 PM »
The finish is tried and true varnish oil, 5 coats, with aqua fortis and a honey amber dye. I don't mind too much the marks on the wrist, the one that irks me the most is the long one down the comb!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »
Rich, tell us where his shortcoming might be as regards the finish and how we can avoid it.

Sincerely, I think some popular finishes do not adequately seal, and, perhaps more importantly, we tend to have zero finish on top of the wood nowadays. I get the sense that gun varnishes in the past were in the wood AND on top of the wood.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 06:28:26 PM »
I'd just clean as normal, maybe soap and warm water?  But otherwise that's when a gun starts getting to look good.  Patina build up.  I use mine.  I have one 30 years old that looks 230 years old, but functions perfect.  Looks great.  I'd never refinish it.
But that's my opinion, do what ya think best.

Offline ScottNE

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 06:54:11 PM »
Doesn’t look bad to me, but then again, it’s your gun, not mine. For very minor streaks I’ve found rubbing in oil can blend on some stocks, really depends on how the wood was finished.. I have a glossy finished cherry stocked rifle with a pale, milky, matte streak from the touchhole that stands out noticeably from the glossy finish around it. No amount of cleaning or oiling fades it, it’s like the finish was eaten clean away. If your gun is in that condition I’d guess sanding and refinishing would be the only option to truly erase the streak.

I like beat up, used looking guns so I leave mine alone mostly.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 07:24:11 PM »
I think your finish failed and the black sooty streaks are now IN the wood.  They will not come out without a total re-finish of the stock(stripper, etc), most likely.
It's part and parcel of use.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Shopdog

Re: Black streaks on kibler rifle
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 07:28:28 PM »
I’ve had that happen numerous times - just clean up with warm water or TOTW black powder cleaner usually does not leave permanent mark but depends on the finish you put on the gun I suppose .  I’ve always used chambers oil finish or tracks oil finish.  Permanency might also depend on what you were cleaning barrel with - solvents more likely to affect finish than water based cleaners.  Like they say it adds to the patina but certainly can be alarming on a newly finished gun you put time into. 
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline DavidC

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 07:30:13 PM »

Sincerely, I think some popular finishes do not adequately seal, and, perhaps more importantly, we tend to have zero finish on top of the wood nowadays. I get the sense that gun varnishes in the past were in the wood AND on top of the wood.

Please share your preferred finish method. I'm still learning and methods for finishing are so varied I like to hear or try as many as I can find.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
if the stain is kinda like a ghost ring on your table,  has anyone tried denatured alcohol on them?

My wife inherited her grandmothers walnut dining room table, complete with rings. I used denatured alcohol and rubbed it into the finish. it penetrated the years of oils and waxes. the alcohol mixed with the trapped water and carried it out of the wood when it evaporated. just took a lil re-oiling and the table looked, well nearly 75 yrs old again  ;)

wondering if it'd penetrate through a gun finish and do the same thing? and not jack things up of course...

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 07:36:51 PM »

Please share your preferred finish method. I'm still learning and methods for finishing are so varied I like to hear or try as many as I can find.

For use, a good wax coat (Renaissance Wax or BriWax) will waterproof most finishes. I am sure the plastic polyurethane finishes resist staining by fouling, but I don’t want them and most others here do not either.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 07:50:25 PM »
Why not remove the barrel from the stock for cleaning?  Then there's no chance of you ruining an otherwise beautiful rifle's finish.  I suspect those stains are permanent.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 08:06:21 PM »
I'd leave it, it looks cool. You can't strip a rifle down every time you have an oopsie or pretty soon you won't have any rifle left. I'm not a fan of removing the barrel for cleaning, it's unnecessary and creates more problems than it solves.

Birddog6

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 08:10:54 PM »
I don't think it will come out.  If it bothers you, refinish it.  And I would refrain from 2-3-4
dif things on it. Stain it, seal it, wax it, & be done with it.

I have rifles I have hunted with for 30 yrs that have no stains of them.

Now if it is a barrel with Wedge Pins & easy to take out, I would remove barrel & clean it.
But anything else goes in the cleaning cradle. Clean it Upside Down & you don't have
a issue of damaging the wood or the finish.

I have been cleaning them like this for ? 30+ years.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:14:42 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 08:35:15 PM »
It's called patina.  Guns are gonna get dings and scratches and so forth if you use them like the tool they were designed to be. 

David

Offline martin9

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 09:00:55 PM »
I like the streaks....I wouldn't touch em'.

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 09:43:14 PM »
Well since nobody has said it yet.. I really like your carving from what I can see of it

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 10:06:54 PM »
About cleaning "solutions". The Wipe-Out brand of black powder foaming cleaners are hard on finishes.

A friend had me try it on my squirrel rifle - I cleaned the barrel with it still on the stock and my vent-dowel leaked a dribble.
Unlike the black streak, what I got was a white streak left by that foam as it ran down the side of my butt stock. The "cleaner"
removed the finish AND the stain. Guess this winter is a good time to re-finish the rifle. I bought it with THIS stain & finish, which
hides the minor curl in the wood that is visible if you look closely at it.
I usually remove the barrel every time I clean it, but didn't this time.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline wmrike

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 10:08:24 PM »
Personally, I rather like the look as part of ordinary use.

I had it happen to one of my guns.  Though it irked me that it happened in the first place, I got over it immediately and never lost the first blink of sleep over it.  I just now looked to see that over the years that stripe has disappeared, possibly on its own, possibly due to a light semi-decade steel-wooling and refinish.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 10:20:41 PM »
Well since nobody has said it yet.. I really like your carving from what I can see of it

I agree that I like what I can see of your carving.  Personally I do not like the black streaks and would do what I could to eliminate them.. Had that happen to me once which is why I now use Dave Crisali's magnet flush cleaner method.  First I would try a plain water rubdown.  If that didn't work I would try rubbing alcohol (just a small spot to make sure it works and doesn't remove the finish).  Your gun to do with what you like and good luck. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 10:40:31 PM »
I also plug the touchhole with a toothpick to clean but then I fold a small square of paper towel and put in on the pan and close the frizzen. Sometimes the touchhole will leak but the paper towel soaks it up. Sorry I don't have any advice to refinish the stock.