General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

strap for flask

(1/3) > >>

martin9:
I have this old powder flask and I was wondering what type strap or chain was used back when these were popular? It's got 2 rings on each side for a strap.

It works well and has 3 settings on the spout. I'll have to measure them to see what they throw. I thought I'd just sell this as I bought it on a lark but it does go nicely with my double barrel. I might try it on a squirrel hunt one morning just to see how I like it if I can come up with a suitable strap for it.

alyce-james:
Martin9 Sir. This style flask, Ringed, were often found with cord style cord. Often the cord used would be in color such as Red, Green and others. Also the cords were tasseled at the ends. I'll look in "The Powder Flask Book" by Ray Riling. Page #189, 217,218,219 and #258. Hope this helps answer your question. Have a great weekend. AJ.   

martin9:
Thank you. I found an example on icollector after you mentioned the tassles...that helped with the search function. I think I'll use a braintan horn strap I have that has the last foot on each end braided. Not exactly traditional but will look good and be more comfortable than the thin cord.

D. Taylor Sapergia:
Go to a fabric store and buy some curtain/drape cord.  It must be small enough to pass through the rings of the flask, and a stopper knot will hold it there.  Cut the cord off about three of four inches past the knot and then separate the strands to form the tassel.

JBJ:
Dixie Gun Works also has a red flask cord that is very appropriate and properly sized. I've used it in the past.
J.B.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version