Author Topic: I.D. this Lock  (Read 1986 times)

Offline wapiti22

I.D. this Lock
« on: September 25, 2021, 12:31:50 AM »
I recently acquired a set of parts for a full-stock Hawken. With it is a Percussion lock that appears to be well made. It's very smooth and fast.  It is marked on the back of the plate "AGC" (in a circle) and the numbers 875.

Any idea who made it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: I.D. this Lock
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 12:38:58 AM »
Pictures will spark some input!  Inside and out.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 02:43:03 AM »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 03:51:58 AM »
I can't identify it  but it looks good and is better than anything found in the Hawken Shop in the 18andwhenevers.
Bob Roller

After about 20 minutes of thinking about his lock I THINK the AGC means Antique Gun Components and the name
Schillinger comes tome but this is only guess.
If I were going to use it I would put a pattern of checkering on that hammer to make it look better and be safer for the
shooter.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 06:14:45 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline DGB

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 04:07:30 AM »
I have the same lock on a
chunk/bench gun.
Always wondered about the AGC myself. Finally saw an older ad: "Antique Gun Components"
That is all I know about the lock. It is serving me very well .
Regards,
DGB

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 04:52:42 AM »
I can't identify it  but it looks good and is better than anything found in the Hawken Shop in the 18andwhenevers.
Bob Roller

After about 20 minutes of thinking about his lock I THINK the AGC means Antique Gun Components and the name
Schillinger comes tome but this is only guess.
Bob Roller
It looks similar to my Schillinger lock, bur my lock is marked with his name.

Offline helwood

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 02:48:54 AM »
Greetings,  Bob you have a great eye.  It is an AGC Lock by Mr. Schillinger.  He use to make the size in the photo and he made a small one for a pistol.  I have one of each.  I also had the opportunity to meet him when I was going to school Wichita around '82.  He was a retired machinist and a gentleman.   
              Later,Hank

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 06:18:48 PM »
Greetings,  Bob you have a great eye.  It is an AGC Lock by Mr. Schillinger.  He use to make the size in the photo and he made a small one for a pistol.  I have one of each.  I also had the opportunity to meet him when I was going to school Wichita around '82.  He was a retired machinist and a gentleman.   
              Later,Hank

That was also my line up on caplocks,rifle size and pistol size then later German Schuetzen locks in rifle and pistol sizes
and the the English style from 1987 until 2019 when I pulled the plug on all lock making.I hope Mr.Schillinger is still alive
and well.I think he made a good lock.If he is still around and able maybe he can restart lock making.
Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 03:44:47 PM »
That is an unusual-looking sear spring, the tip of the spring is very close to the axis of rotation.  And I guess to get it working right, they used a stout spring instead of the sheet-metal spring found in most locks that do have the spring tip further out on the sear arm.

Very clean-looking design and execution.

Bob, I have actually two metal checkering files, but both of them are 22 lpi.  And it IS a very good idea to checker the tip of the hammer to eliminate slippage.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 10:32:19 PM »
That looks like a somewhat robust sear spring. If it were placed further out on the sear it might put too much weight on the sear and make for a heavier trigger pull. Just a thought. :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 11:32:23 PM »
That looks like a somewhat robust sear spring. If it were placed further out on the sear it might put too much weight on the sear and make for a heavier trigger pull. Just a thought. :)
Probably lightly preloaded for use with a set trigger.
Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 11:35:37 PM »
That is an unusual-looking sear spring, the tip of the spring is very close to the axis of rotation.  And I guess to get it working right, they used a stout spring instead of the sheet-metal spring found in most locks that do have the spring tip further out on the sear arm.

Very clean-looking design and execution.

Bob, I have actually two metal checkering files, but both of them are 22 lpi.  And it IS a very good idea to checker the tip of the hammer to eliminate slippage.

I usually ran the checkering farther down than only the tip and at a steep angle whenever possible.
Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 11:43:36 PM »
Bob - noted.  I generally feel safe when following your instructions.  I am used to doing checkering on "other" firearms, where the checkering is about 3:1 length/width, did some at 4 or 5:1, but you don't get as good a grip with that.  3:1 or even 2.5:1 looks and feels good.

Still feel that they could have used a thinner sear spring and placed it out a bit further than right by the hub.  Oh well, I didn't design it, and never had to use it.  It is what it is.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 11:00:04 PM »
Where would I find a new lock plate for this lock, one that isn't cut?