Author Topic: lion and lamb pull length?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline martin9

lion and lamb pull length?
« on: September 26, 2021, 03:46:36 AM »
I'm wanting to build a copy of the Lion and Lamb rifle sometime...this winter most likely. I have a good side view pic of it to get the basic stock profile to get started. My question is doesn't it have a really short LOP? I swear I had an email where Eric Von Aschwege mentioned it or possibly another Albrecht gun has a pull of 12.5 or so....it was awhile back and I can't seem to find it now.  Anyway, anyone know the LOP?

Offline martin9

Re: lion and lamb pull length?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 04:03:59 AM »
I did find those emails but he doesn't say the actual pull length...just that it's really short.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
Make it what it has to be for you, I would suggest.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 04:09:29 PM »
I measured 11 11/16". 
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline martin9

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 04:25:14 PM »
Wow that is short. Thanks! I think I'll make mine 13".

Daryl, I need the pull length so I can blow the image up on my computer and have a known measurement to go by. I can lengthen the pull at the buttstock but want the sketch I make to be as close to the original as possible.

I also found where Eric sent me a file with his Albrecht sketch on it. It doesn't have measurements on it so I need to message him and see what he settled on for LOP.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 04:39:48 PM »
The 'two tailed dog' is the same stock pattern and likely the same guy, and that one is 13 1/2", partly with an increase in stock length and partly with a less perpendicular to axis butt angle.  So, you can get a pretty good idea what it would look like lengthened out just by looking at that rifle also.  #42 is also an extremely similar stock pattern and that one is really long at 14".
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline martin9

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 06:05:08 PM »
That is a good tip..Thank you.....I may use the two tailed dog for a sketch and just finish it out like the Lion and Lamb.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 07:31:22 PM »
I made my L&L  with a 13.5" pull. I think the Lamb head is actually a panther.... or possibly a leopard, just to throw something controversial out there. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »
You trying to be a stooge?   ;D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 11:28:11 PM »
You trying to be a stooge?   ;D
I've always been a  Curly fan. ;D I also believe the "Two tailed dog" to be a leopard too. Mainly because of it's spots and what I've seen painted on the walls and ceilings in 17th century wooden synagogues in Europe. I figure illustrations similar to the paintings ended up in old testament bibles the Moravians had. It's probably the only place they had ever seen what a leopard looked like.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 12:35:43 AM »
Interesting thought.   Better watch out or our lordly betters will jump in to squash dissent, and you'll have to go for re-education comrade Curly!

Sincerely, Moe.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 01:26:17 AM »
If you ever get the chance PBS ran a couple hour long show on the wooden synagogues in Poland which the Nazis burnt down. All of the Moravian stock carvings were painted on the walls and ceilings. Fascinating. Only caught it once. I think you can buy the show from PBS for something like ONE MILLION DOLLARS..... ???or near that.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
If you ever get the chance PBS ran a couple hour long show on the wooden synagogues in Poland which the Nazis burnt down. All of the Moravian stock carvings were painted on the walls and ceilings. Fascinating. Only caught it once. I think you can buy the show from PBS for something like ONE MILLION DOLLARS..... ???or near that.

This'un? https://www.polishsynagogue.com/

I'm not sure that I'd care to postulate that the Moravians were directly copying synagogue paintings, but there is a distinct similarity that suggests a common artistic culture: https://www.polishsynagogue.com/shop/leopard
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 03:37:16 PM »
In the synagogue picture, I noticed some chipmunks as well.  Might have to do a Chipmunk & Squirrel long rifle before too long.

And that is one weird-looking leopard.  Almost owl looking.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.