Author Topic: GOEX Plant Shutting Down?  (Read 9048 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: GOEX Plant Shutting Down?
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2021, 09:16:44 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the storage limit in "Canuckville" is 75 KG in a detached building, but only 1 KG in an attached dwelling and 10 KG in a detached dwelling or attached storage unit.
The storage limit for a detached dwelling is considerably more than I would be comfortable with.
Anyone considering the storage of black powder in Canada would be well advised to check the regs on the Government of Canada website.

75KG is 165 pounds. Interesting.
Taylor and a local friend, the current president of the NFA, Sheldon Claire, were both instrumental in the new powder regulations.
Perhaps Taylor will chime in here.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2021, 09:27:40 PM »
On the subject of powder storage. Just exactly what does one need to do to construct a proper powder magazine? I am planning a move within this upcoming year, God willing, and if that happens I might build a magazine away from the house.
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
This might help, Clark.

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/explosive-storage-requirements

"Low Explosives

Low explosives deflagrate producing a large volume of heated gas. Low explosives, such as black powder, most display fireworks, safety fuse, igniters, igniter cord, fuse lighters, etc., must be stored in:

Type-1, -2, or -4 permanent, portable or mobile indoor/outdoor magazines."
Daryl

Offline john bohan

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2021, 03:07:12 AM »
I already know guys that bought 777 powder. Why the panic?

Offline Cosmo

• Starting Member
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2021, 10:33:34 PM »
I looked online and see all the usual retailers are out of stock on everything. Then I called a local shop and they have FF and FFF in stock.

I guess the apocalypses is canceled.
“If you are an American, you must allow all ideas to circulate freely in your community, not merely your own.”  Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2021, 01:41:22 AM »
I already know guys that bought 777 powder. Why the panic?

What does 777 powder have to do with Goex BP?
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2021, 12:52:00 AM »
Speculation says it is being used in cap-locks as a substitute for black powder. The MSDS sheet is incorrect for it, as
Mad Monk found no perchlorates in it's composition.  The guess was that Hodgdon used the same sheet as Pyrodex
 to shorten the acceptance time and cost for licensing purposes?????
Perhaps he will chime in here.
Daryl

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2021, 02:05:18 AM »
Speculation says it is being used in cap-locks as a substitute for black powder. The MSDS sheet is incorrect for it, as
Mad Monk found no perchlorates in it's composition.  The guess was that Hodgdon used the same sheet as Pyrodex

Daryl,
We are stepping on some touchy ground here.   When Hodgdon first came out with the 777 I was able to get a container sent to me by a friend.  As soon as it arrived here I gave the wife the credit card and car keys and shipped her off for a day at the local shopping mall.  Then took over her kitchen as my chemistry lab.  Broke the poder down in water and filtered it off.  When I evaporated the water extracted salts I found nothing that looked like the potassium perchlorate found in Pyrodex. Later proved that again on steel plates and brass plates looking for pit corrosion on the plates left out on the roofed over deck out back.  Not one single corrosion pit on any of the plates.  When I looked at the salt crystals from the dried filtrate I identified the potassium nitrate.  And then another crystal form I had not seen before.  So I looked closer at their MDS.  Noted that they showed a post combustion sulfur compound.  But there is no elemental sulfur in it. So it was back to my industrial chemistry lab background.  After some thinking I realized I was looking at an oxidizer system based on potassium nitrate with some sodium dinitro benzoate sulfonate.  In claning up the Pyrodex this switch to the dinitro benzoate would be a logical next step. This cured a number of problems seen in Pyrodex chemistry.  Now the way they wrote it up allowed them to get a new patent on the 777 since the patent on Pyrodex had expired.  And this new and improved Pyrodex would not need an expensive recertification process by an independent lab that would have cost a bunch of money.  But my big laugh came when it was claimed that the 777 name represented the number of experimental batches needed to come up with the final formulation for the 777.  Which had me laughing.  At the PVC factory this formulation updating thing had been one of my jobs.  To better suite a particular PVC type to other customers.  Had I taken 777 experimental batches to up grade a PVC resin formulation I would have been out the door long before that 777.

But let me tell you.  That 777 in my Lyman GPR with the Bernie Tolino mule ear lock is a joy to shoot.  But with the 777, as with the Swiss bp if you get a little carried away with powder charge sizes you will be looking at glass-like films back in the breech that are a bit difficult to remove.  Potassium carbonate that was melted and then cooled on the barrel interior.  I had commented at the time where if I could not buy black powder the mule ear gun and the 777 would be all of my shooting and very happy with it.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2021, 02:14:38 AM »

Daryl,

As a follow up.
Originally Hodgdon told the shooters that the 777 could only be used in the in-line guns where the hole in the breech plug was firing directly nto the rear of the pwder charge and using 209 shotgun primers for ignition.  Then later on they claim it would work in sidelocks.  When I tried to shoot it in my Lyman percussion ignition Trade Rifle I could not get good ignition even with the strongest percussion caps at that time.  Those being the Remington percussion caps.  When you look at the different brands of percussion caps you see different weights of proimer compound being used in them.  More primer composition gives stronger caps.  Then I bought two of the Mag Spark adaptors to use the 209 caps on a traditional side lock.  That worked but about every three shots I had to pull the Mag Spark adaptor and clean it and the flash channel from the snail into the powder charge.  Those 209 primers really put out the primer composition residue.  So the mule ear lock proved to be the way to go for reliable and consistant ignition. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2021, 03:06:47 AM »
I admit to trying Hodgdon's 777 some time ago in my 14 bore English styled rifle.
I had no difficulty with ignition using Remington #11 caps.
I wiped and re-oiled it again a day after shooting and it was still just as clean as the day earlier and nothing
came out on the patch, just oil residue. That was likely 20 years ago and the gun still shoots fairly well.
Daryl