Author Topic: Time is getting near........  (Read 920 times)

Offline dave951

• Starting Member
Time is getting near........
« on: September 27, 2021, 12:45:07 AM »
Time is getting near for the Basic Muzzleloading Class to be held at Camp Raven Knob in NC by the Yadkin Valley Rangers.

To become a NRA certified Muzzleloading Instructor, you must complete 3 classes- Basic Muzzleloading, Basic Instructor,  Muzzleloading Instructor. There is no shortcut to this certification, hence it's not a commonly found one. If you want to ever work with most youth organizations in black powder, you must have this certification. I can't stress enough how important it is for adults to get involved with kids. Many on this and other black powder boards whine about the status of our sport, but the real question is what do you plan to do about it?

Even if you are already a long time muzzleloading/black powder person, you still have to go through the courses to be certified. The course is interesting, shooting is fun, and you'll meet other black powder enthusiasts and have opportunities to network you would otherwise not have.

Please reply by email as time is getting short and we have logistics to get settled soon.

Course Date/Time-  10/9 at 8a

Email- YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com

Place- Camp Raven Knob, NC  https://www.ravenknob.com/

Duration- 1 day

Cost-  $60 NMLRA members $85 non NMLRA members

included in the cost- free lodging at Camp Raven Knob on Friday night for those having to travel. Lunch and refreshments on Saturday. Ammo and course materials. For non-NMLRA members also will receive a 1 year digital membership to the NMLRA.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Time is getting near........
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 01:11:39 PM »
THAT is beautiful ;D.The pint size Princess with a muzzleloader and we all hope she likes it.
Neither of our two boys liked them and when they were small like this child I took them to the
range and let them shoot a 40 caliber small scale half stock I had cobbled up and neither one
was interested. As a young adult our oldest son would go once in a while but he had my S&W
44 Spl.He did like reloading ammunition.He watched a man load a percussion revolver and said
he can wash his car in the length of time it took to get that revolver shooting again.The youngest
son has no interest in shooting at all but owns several modern guns.The oldest one now is 50 and a retired cop
living in Texas and has a modern handgun and his daughter who is 23 also shoots a modern hand gun and frequently carries it.
He also liked going to Ralph Marcum's shoots in McKee Ky. and shot BPCR 45-70.I enjoyed that one as well and am
saddened to think that it will never be a "look forward to"event again.
Bob Roller

Offline dave951

• Starting Member
Re: Time is getting near........
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 04:36:19 AM »
That young lady was the best shot of the year a while back. She had the visual acuity to see the wires holding the targets and the aim to shoot them. She did well with the carbine, but when she moved to the Civil War musket, it was 4 shots, 4 targets on the ground, all of which belonged to her dad and brothers.  8)  Not that she had any encouragement.....  ;D

Our goal is to make black powder shooting a fun and safe experience for those who are interested in it. Pew pew will always be attractive to those with no discernable attention span. The key to getting kids interested is the history behind the guns, making the shooting fun, and (very important) be a knowledgeable and enthusiastic instructor.

When I'm at the range and a kid is there, I'll always offer to let them shoot my stuff, parents too. They get a kick out of the loud whack a 500gr minie makes on a steel gong at 50yds. They like the flintlocks too. It's an eyeopener for them to see how accurate one can be and how much fun it is to shoot.