Author Topic: Honourable Company of Horners  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Honourable Company of Horners
« on: August 14, 2021, 09:37:27 PM »
I am curious about this society. Is anyone familiar with them? They seem to have some amazingly talented people.

Offline Karl Kunkel

Re: Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 04:26:37 AM »
I believe there are several members here who belong.  Stand by, and someone will pipe up.  I agree there is much talent.  I usually try to visit their annual held at AHEC in Carlisle.
Kunk

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 04:53:15 AM »
Thanks !

Online Frozen Run

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 07:13:04 AM »
The members I've interacted with have all been incredibly friendly and forthcoming with their knowledge.

https://www.hornguild.org/

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 01:57:22 AM »
Unfortunately, that has not been the case with myself and I had nteracted with them in many years. I dropped my membership to the forum and deleted the shortcut on my computer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:10:22 AM by Bull Shannon »
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Eseabee1

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 02:44:04 AM »
What would you like to know? I have been a member of the HCH since 2007.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 04:02:55 AM »
I received an invitation via their Facebook page after inquiring about the association. I know they usually have an annual meeting but wonder what other benefits come with membership.
I had some tome to look at their website and am very impressed with the work I see  their members have done.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 04:39:54 AM »
Those guys are amazing.  The annual get together in Carlisle isnt huge, but well worth the visit.  Pretty impressive stuff.  And nice collections to look at and study.

Eseabee1

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 05:02:43 AM »
I received an invitation via their Facebook page after inquiring about the association. I know they usually have an annual meeting but wonder what other benefits come with membership.
I had some tome to look at their website and am very impressed with the work I see  their members have done.

As far as benefits go. You get a publication three times a year called the horn book. It has articles about horns and and things that are going on in the guild. How to articles. You also get access to the Jim Dresslar digital museum has all the drawings that he has done of original horns. Now the annual meeting is open to the public.  If you like making horns I suggest joining you get access to a lot of talented people most are willing to help you.  There is a lot more to horn making then just powder horns.

Eseabee1

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 05:08:38 AM »
Unfortunately, that has not been the case with myself and I have interacted with them in many years.

If you had a bad experience with guild members please PM me about it. This needs to be brought to the attention of the guild. We are about teaching and learning horn making. I have been a member since 2007. I apologize for anyone who has mistreated you but definitely need to know.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 09:13:53 AM »
Unfortunately, that has not been the case with myself and I have interacted with them in many years.

If you had a bad experience with guild members please PM me about it. This needs to be brought to the attention of the guild. We are about teaching and learning horn making. I have been a member since 2007. I apologize for anyone who has mistreated you but definitely need to know.
This was several years ago and I can't remember who it was that chased me off, but he sure didn't like criticism. I'm okay with it now but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline aaronc

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 11:33:20 PM »
   When I first started piddling with horns I joined for a few years. Just ended up letting it go for no real reason. I've have had it on my to do list to join again as I enjoy the publication. Personalities vary a great deal within any group,..and I don't belong to many. Honestly just prefer one on one interactions or very small groups most of the time anyway. This isn't an official organization but I do try to support this site on occasion as I consider it a very valuable resource,..but back to topic.
     I'll say this,..for those that rise in the ranks in the HCOH, and certainly the ones that reach that "Master Horner" status,...it is not a participation trophy. From what I have seen in the gallery and the work of those guys that is published they are the real deal. Very skilled indeed.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 06:05:32 AM »
I appreciate all the comments in this conversation. I enjoy making horns (my first was way back in 1988 or so). I should join the group and might do that in the near future but it seems I have so many irons in the fire right now. I have looked at their website and am so impressed with the quality of workmanship and artistry. I love the perpetuation of the craft and art form, especial as it refers to our early American culture.

Offline Curtis Makamson

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 02:39:40 PM »
I have been a member of the Honourable Company of Horners for several years.  None of their activities have been attended because of distance and health issues.  However, email messages between several members and myself have been beneficial.  Well meaning advice and suggested horn working techniques have been received.  My horn working skills are not nearly as good as some of the members but even my mediocre horn work has been made better by instruction received from this group.
Dubious artisan, semi-literate writer, pretend photographer, woeful speaker, impractical dreamer, hoarder of distractions, purveyor of irrelevance, connoisseur of whimsy, prolific starter, paltry finisher.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »
I am almost done making my 1st and probably last horn. I am lucky enough to live near Scott Morrison who is giving me some pointers along the way. I am one of those people who was passed over when the creative gene was given out. Will never grouse about the price talented people charge for their horns. They are probably making minimum wage or less doing it. I am doing mine without the help of electricity. Files rasps, scrapers, sand paper and steel wool. Making the butt plug has been the most time consuming, I see why a lath is a must have.
"Muskrat" Mike
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.