Author Topic: Novely Shoot Idea - Nothing Fancy  (Read 2392 times)

Candle Snuffer

Novely Shoot Idea - Nothing Fancy
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:29:58 PM »
Went out to the Range today to shoot my September NMLRA monthly postal match from 25 yards offhand.  Once I was done with that I decided to set up one of my "repaired" Palma Tryout Targets at 110 yards and take five shots at it from the kneeling position.  I had an idea in mind for our local White River Brigade October '09 Novelty shoot;

I might mention that these targets are all black from the 10 ring out to the 8 ring (13-1/8" of black), so the center you see on this target is not the way the target comes.

(Actual Palma Target)

I was thinking for our October Novelty shoot we would use the actual Palma target and take five shots from 70 yards offhand - score & repair our target, then move them out to 110 yards for five more shots which can be taken from the offhand - kneeling - or setting position.

In itself this match is pretty simple except we will not allow any warm up shots, sight adjustments, or the use of spotting scopes or binoculars to see where you hit from shot to shot from either range.  We will call the match; "How Well Do You Know Your Rifle."

The five shots I took on the above target kneeling at 110 yards - I did not get my spotting scope out while taking these shots.  I figured I'd just have to rely on how well I knew my rifle and how well I could read windage and elevation at 110 yards.

I was surprised I did as well as I did, and I do believe each shot would have taken a deer.  This should be a good warm up match for the coming December muzzleloading deer season.  It might also be a good eyeopener for those that shoot this to see just how well they can judge their shots and pick out an area on a 13-1/8" black background from 70 and 110 yards.  

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:32:26 PM by Candle Snuffer »

Wyoming Mike

Re: Novely Shoot Idea - Nothing Fancy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »
When I put on our monthly shoot, about once a year, I have one target, a 100 yard bull, with 2 shots at 25 yards, 2 shots at 50 yards and 2 shots at 100 yard.  I do get a lot of whining about having to do all that walking but they need the exercise anyway.

Candle Snuffer

Re: Novely Shoot Idea - Nothing Fancy
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:28:36 AM »
We've add a few more twist into this shoot, Mike.

We're now thinking that we may shoot this target as a 'club' team shoot where all the members that show up will shoot 2 shots at each target posted at; 35, 70, 105, 140, and 175 yards.  (We'll post 5 targets in all)

At the end of the shoot/match - we will draw a percentage number from a jar which could be anywhere from 55% to 78%, and see if our club's average beats the percentage number drawn.

I expect we'll only have 3 to 5 folks at this shoot as we never seem to have many more then that for an October match, which this match is October 25th.

It's something a bit different and I kind of like the idea that it's a team effort.  Either we all win, or we all lose.  You might say we're shooting against a ghost team.  Should be fun. :)