General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

Old horn question

(1/5) > >>

Shreckmeister:
Can someone tell me why all of the highly collectible powder horns from the 18th century seem to have the same tan coloration But all of the 19th century horns that I find are much darker? We’re collectors at one time cleaning these old horn‘s with some thing that resulted in that tan color?  For example, most of the horns in yesterday’s Morphy auction had this tan coloration. My other question is what is some color applied to the etching In these horns to make it stand out more? 19th century original horns I find don’t have that black etching. I’ve been wondering this for a number of years

Daniel Coats:
I'm wondering how much of it is the type of cattle the horn came from?

rich pierce:
I’m always impressed with the dark and clear inking on historic horns from the 1700s.

Marcruger:
I think some horns got a shellac treatment, and that darkens over time. 

I am also thinking about how rifles became simpler and more "production line" in the 1800's.  I am wondering if there was less need for beautiful light horns that show engraving? 

Just thinking out loud.   God Bless,  Marc

jdm:
I remember reading some where that the dark lines were made by combining several ingredients.Soot from  the bottom of camp cookware ,gunpowder and water were part of the mix. then rubbed on the horn and wiped off leaving the black in the groves. The light yellow color was obtained by mixing different plants together .    Now don't take all this for true because I wasn't there.

I have noticed that the horns with the nice color and dark lines are usually pretty nice horns. Perhaps these were made by horners who new the mysteries of the trade.The other carved  ones we see are from the owner who just wants to individualize his horn.Also the horns in that last auction were mostly high end  decorative and or historic.The darker horns are not  as attractive.  Again just a thought cause I really don't know!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version