Author Topic: Hawken on Gunbroker  (Read 15492 times)

Leighton

Re: Hawken on Gunbroker
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 03:00:08 AM »
I have studied many Hawkens personally and owned one, and this Gunbroker thing is sure not a Sam, Jake, Wm. Watts or Gibbons made Hawken. They could not even stamp it right on the bbl.

jwh1947

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 03:38:02 AM »
From my immense and infallible database, I see this piece as a product of the famous Lower East Side (NYC) Hasidic gunsmith Shemul Chaim Hawken.  He worked across Houston St. from the old pickle store.  He armed the whole 5-Points Gang and he is noted for inscribing cryptic Kabalistic symbolism on his patchboxes.  Great Pinyone, can you cross reference, please?  In all seriousness, this gun ain't righteous. 

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 07:35:39 AM »
From my immense and infallible database, I see this piece as a product of the famous Lower East Side (NYC) Hasidic gunsmith Shemul Chaim Hawken.  He worked across Houston St. from the old pickle store.  He armed the whole 5-Points Gang and he is noted for inscribing cryptic Kabalistic symbolism on his patchboxes.  Great Pinyone, can you cross reference, please?  In all seriousness, this gun ain't righteous. 

You're not right between the ears.

msmith

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »
Hawken, Rock Island had,went for a hair over Thirty Seven Thousand.I guess everybody ain't hurtin in this economy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:32:07 PM by msmith »

halfcocked

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 03:38:59 AM »
That thing is no Hawken. Period!

PeterB

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 07:19:35 AM »
Always nice to see one in person. I passed up trading for one once that I had in my hands. I was worried about the 34 caliber and only one barrel pin. The lock was a bit smaller than normal. Of course, all these things could be explained by the smaller caliber. Later, I got the old and new owner together and was allowed to copy the stock. When I took off the butt plate, one screw hole had been rotted by perhaps leaking water. It was not drilled and dowelled, it was replaced by a diamond shaped piece of wood inletted into the stock..very well inletting into the stock.. I was starting to change my mind. The inset holder for the barrel  was cut out of one piece and filed to shape as a sort of a cage structure. That changed my mind completely. I never saw another original until someone put their collection of 15 guns on display at the Beinfeld Winter Vegas Show years ago. Neat guns.