Author Topic: October Postal Shooting Match  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Maven

Re: October Postal Shooting Match
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2021, 04:35:05 PM »
Nice shooting, Steve!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Maven

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2021, 09:18:16 PM »
After some prodding by Daryl, I shot two more targets for record earlier today with a different rifle (.54cal. Chambers, Isaac Haines), but didn't do quite as well as I hoped.  Although I varied the powder charge by 10gr.(60gr. Graf's FFg for target #1; 70gr. Graf's FFg for target #2), I'm perplexed by my groups.  Target #1 is clearly the better one, with a 3.25" center-to-center measurement, 5.25" for #2, ruined by two flyers.  However, the small 3-shot group is tantalizing, considering the two flyers caused by who knows what:  poor cheek weld? slight hangfires?  (I guess that's why they're called flyers!)  Btw, I was using a .530" RB* that I cast from a RCBS mould with .018" pillow ticking wetted with 1 Ballistol : 6 water.

The inconsistent results prompts me to ask whether the rifle would profit from glass bedding:  Has anyone done this with a long rifle?  What say ye?

*I've tried .535" RB's with .014" patches, but got mixed results and more difficult loading.

Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2021, 10:47:57 PM »
Btw, I was using a .530" RB* that I cast from a RCBS mould with .018" pillow ticking wetted with 1 Ballistol : 6 water.
The inconsistent results prompts me to ask whether the rifle would profit from glass bedding:  Has anyone done this with a long rifle?  What say ye?

I bed the stock that "used" my .45 GM and .40 Goodeoin barrels. A good bedding job is never a bad idea, imho, but I feel it is more important with
modern rifles, both in the consistency and strength departments.
Micro-bed, that Brownells used to sell, came with a brown die for coloring the bedding. I'm sure that is what the fellow used, (Hunkeler)who built my fowler.
It is very nicely bed. Both of your groups show good 3-shot groups inside. Consistency of follow-through is vitally important as a lack of good follow-through will
cause horizontal dispersion(usually).
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 08:41:29 PM »
This contest is five shots on one target bench rest at 50 yards.  Submit as many targets as you want to...there is no Lexus being awarded at the end of the month.  We are interested in how well your loads and rifles will group.  But restrict the target to only five shots.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alacran

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 01:26:55 PM »
I bed most of my rifles, but mostly to seal the barrel channel groove, it also seals the breech area, and if done properly, it keeps the breech solidly wedded to the stock.
That being said I doubt that you will be able to tell much difference in your groups. Sighting errors from shot to shot are the most likely culprits for your flyers. Also you went from shooting a cap lock to a flintlock. At any rate you would have to shoot a lot of groups with that gun before a determination could be made.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Maven

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 04:50:50 PM »
I'll retest the rifle once I reassemble it since I've rebrowned the bbl. and monkeyed with the stock.  The latter had split longitudinally from the nose cap back toward the ramrod channel (repaired once before) and there was a bit of interference with the nose cap, which I removed.  Not much bedding was needed, but what there was has now been addressed.  With any luck, I'll be able to test it with both the standard .530" RB & .018" patch and the .535" RB & .011" patch, but I think I'll use a red target spot to make aiming a bit easier.  A new flint wouldn't hurt either.

And thanks to Daryl, Taylor, and alacran for your advice! :)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2021, 12:43:52 AM »
Hopefully, Taylor and I can get out again. I'm smoking rainbow trout today and have a LOT more to do, but it' supposed to rain now for a week or so
which wrecks both scenarios.
Daryl

Offline Maven

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »
I just got back from the range after reassembling and testing my newly bedded rifle and can say it shot better than it has in a long time.  Although I shot two targets, I'm only posting one since I dropped a shot off the paper with the .530" RB + .018" patch + 60gr. Graf's/Goex (sighting error), but the remaining 4 grouped rather nicely.  However, the target I'm submitting, although messy as I forgot to print new ones this AM, is most satisfying.  I've tried a .535" RB before, but with only so-so results, but today I tried it with a thin patch (.011")* that doesn't burn through even with substantially higher charges.  Today's result is in the blue lined area:

free image upload no registration

*I don't know what that 100% cotton cloth is called as all I have is a manufacturer and bolt number (Jo Ann Fabric), but it is strong.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:32:52 PM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2021, 09:41:20 PM »
Maven:  that's showing promise.  Now submit a target with only five holes in it for record.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2021, 04:03:24 AM »
Daryl and I got out today for another kitck at this October cat!  I did some experimenting, since I have no dog in this race, and hence, nothing to lose.  I started with my usual charge of 85 gr. FFg GOEX and shot three targets, increasing the charge 5 gr. at a time.  My second target produced a smaller tighter group with 90 gr. but my third was worse, so on my final target of the afternoon, I dropped the charge to 80 gr. and shot this target:  1.182" c to c.  All other components of the charge were the same, id:  .590" ball pure lead from Rapine mold, 10 oz. blue denim patches precut to 1 1/4" and lubed with water and water soluble cutting oil 10:1, and slobbering wet.  A starter is required to start this combo, but once into the muzzle, the wooden rod pushes the ball to the charge easily.  Patches are re-usable though I do not do this.  Recoil is pleasant in this voluptuous rifle, even from the bench:  rifle resting just back of the entry pipe in my left hand on a solid rest, where one would hold it for offhand, butt supported against shoulder by grip around wrist (no bag) and elbows on the bench.
I am liking this new barrel more and more, each time I use it.  Have an opportunity to take a mule deer buck this weekend with this rifle...

« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 04:07:55 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2021, 04:26:18 AM »
Nice, Taylor. My best today was not good enough, at 1.780", larger than the two I submitted. I might add it was really foggy for us, along with the lack of wind,
had the smoke mixing with the fog on our little range. Taylor's last target shows it wasn't bothering him on his last kick at the cat.  Might get out again, maybe
with the .36 or .50.
Daryl

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2021, 01:00:59 AM »
Taylor and Daryl....are yinz 2 brothers ?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2021, 02:04:27 AM »
Yes - we are brothers, Nessmuk & we most often shoot these monthlies, together. Adds a bit of spice to the "game".
Daryl

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2021, 02:17:19 AM »
Yes - we are brothers, Nessmuk & we most often shoot these monthlies, together. Adds a bit of spice to the "game".

That’s great ! Iam still trying to get to the range for this October target…This work thing is a big pain !

Offline snrub47

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2021, 06:28:20 PM »
Here is my entry for October. Was doing good until the last shoot, that seems to always be the story. Was a good day to be at the range.

• Member 3
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2021, 07:45:02 PM »
That's a nice target snrub47.  Patch, lube, etc?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline snrub47

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2021, 04:48:39 PM »
Patch=.018 coated canvas, .457 ball, open sights, 13.5 lb percussion rifle...........

• Member 3
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2021, 08:49:23 PM »
coated canvas:  coated with what?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Maven

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2021, 10:38:33 PM »
Here's my last target for the October Frolic.  The rifle is an Isaac Haines .54cal., but today I went back to the .530" RB (RCBS mould) + .018 pillow ticking patch wetted with 1 Ballistol : 6 water.  Naturally enough, shots 2 -> 5 were touching, but shot #1 used a different patch and ruined the group.  Btw, these were foulers.  I then went back to the Lee .535" RB + .011" patch, and the Ballistol and water lube, but found no joy before I ran out of RB's.  I then went back to the .530" RB, but wasn't thrilled with the group.  Shooting to the southeast with a low sun on my rear sight didn't  help matters either.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to see what next month's frolic brings.

Edit:  Powder charge was 65gr. Graf's/Goex FFg.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:49:34 AM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

• Member 3
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2021, 01:52:14 AM »
Paul:  thanks for your submission.  I appreciate you giving it your best, and it is an excellent opportunity to get out and do some serious shooting practice.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2021, 07:24:42 PM »
Nice to see you got out a few times, Paul. Never hurts to get in some shooting practice.
Good shooting.
Same 1-gets-away happens to me too.
Daryl

Offline Maven

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2021, 07:57:59 PM »
Thanks for your words of encouragement, Taylor & Daryl. :)  Just to add, the .530" RB + .018" patch is accurate enough and loads easily enough for a trail/woods walk, but I think further testing of the .535" RB + .011" patch is warranted even if it loads a mite harder.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2021, 11:21:31 PM »
Hmm - can't imagine an .011" patch loading harder, unless there is a buildup of fouling due to the thinner patch not sealing.
Most everyone up here uses 10 ounce denim (.021" to .0225") with a .535" ball in normal .010 to .012" deep rifling.
The difference in thickness comes from different mfg'r, as the newest material I purchased, measure's .021" however the older
material I have, measures .0225". They load about the same & patches are reusable in every calibre I use it, which is all of them.
Daryl

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2021, 12:19:32 AM »
The one load totals .548 with the 18/1000 patch and the other totals .546 with the 11/1000 patch. Seems the thin patch would load easier unless you get blow by with that thinner patch.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 12:23:28 AM by smylee grouch »

Offline Maven

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2021, 03:48:10 PM »
No blow by with the thinner patch even with substantially higher powder charges (they could be re-used), sg.  The .535" RB is actually .537" and the slightly more difficult starting is only at the muzzle.  The problem I fear isn't with the rifle or the load components, but with the shooter.
Paul W. Brasky