Author Topic: Black streaks on kibler rifle finish  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Jeff Murray

Re: Black streaks on kibler rifle finish
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2021, 04:44:23 AM »
With regard to the broken tooth pick in the touch hole, I usually clip off the smaller part of the tip to prevent that from happening.  Leave just enough to plug the hole effectively.  Have no idea what wood the picks are made out of but as noted earlier I do soak them in varnish and let them age prior to using for cleaning (have also used Thompsons Water Seal).  I usually carry a couple at the bottom of my possibles bag for in the field quick barrel cleanup prior to a thorough cleaning when I get home.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2021, 08:13:17 AM »
The "round" picks I buy, appear to be maple.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »
A bit of steel wool lubricated with a wax polish might take it out if it is just on the surface. Oil and pumice could also be tried, or a commercial product like Birchwoods stock conditioner.  If it got past the finish and is in the wood probably not going to happen.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2021, 05:15:57 PM »
Dennis, believe it or not, my toothpicks are the antique "Made in USA" type.  I hoarded a couple boxes when they started coming in from China and I just don't use them much at all.  I whittle out most of the ones I really pick my teeth with.

As for getting a leak, that wasn't the fault of the toothpick.  I had left it long and then unknowingly bumped the end. Since that time I break them down to about 1/3 length and double check them for leaks. No leaks since.  But I have a bunch of high-tension magnets and will be trying those soon.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2021, 07:56:12 PM »
I have switched from a toothpick to a high-powered magnet.  It is shaped like a large Tums disk.  I cut the tip off the finger of a rubber household glove to act as a "gasket".  Works like a charm.  Just remove the lock, wipe the barrel clean, and place the magnet/gasket over the touch hole vent.  I also pack a patch or piece of paper towel in the lock inlet as a drip catcher just in case. 

I learned this magnet tip from Ron Hess, and he has my thanks.

On a round breeched barrel I still use a toothpick.   I leave the lock in place, and the frizzen is closed on the toothpick to keep it in place.  I also trap a cleaning patch to be first line of defense against a drip or leak. 

Here is my tip:  I have some microfiber car cleaning cloths you get at Target or Walmart.  I keep one in my range box, and before cleaning I tie it around the stock tightly behind the breech.  If anything were to leak, it would be caught before running down the stock. 

Just some ideas that work for me. 

OP, I am sorry you had this bad experience.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2021, 09:20:00 PM »
Betcha the ones with the hole would work on a round barrel with the rubber gasket.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/hardware/rare-earth-magnets

Daryl

Online mountainman

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2021, 07:49:30 PM »
I have already removed stains like that by using 0000 steel wool and ballistol oil.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2021, 03:46:36 AM »
Hello everyone,  I was cleaning my Kibler colonial rifle last night and the toothpick in my touchhole didn't plug it enough, a stream of black powder infused water dripped down my stock and left these black streaks that are set into the stock. Any recommendations on how to get this out? worst case scenario ill just sand these areas down and re-finish it...

DON"T SAND IT. Sand paper is not the answer for EVERYTHING. I don't know what the finish is but the stain is likely only on the surface. At worst a little  rubbing with some finish to wet it  and rottenstone should cure it
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Buckskinner

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »
Part of the using it as a gun thing so leave it.... Besides I like it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2021, 08:52:42 PM »
Each to his own I guess.  But I think it looks terrible, and I could not live with it on my rifle.  There have been several good suggestions on getting most of the stain out.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2021, 09:05:53 PM »
If it had been wiped off as soon as it happened it probably wouldn’t have been as bad.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2021, 10:04:01 PM »
If he had never shot it imagine how pretty the gun would still look??? :o
It's been used.  These things happen.
The challenge is to NOT make it worse by following bad advise ;)

p.s.; A quick google search on toothpics: "Wooden toothpicks are cut from birch wood". There it is.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2021, 01:18:08 AM »
There ya go - birch.  Looks like maple.(of course)
Daryl