General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

My First Shot Pouch

<< < (2/4) > >>

Frank Barker:
Hello Alex and welcome to the ALR site. It is so nice to see a member of the younger generation who is so interested in muzzleloading and the making of all the accouterments that go along with it all. Your pouch looks very nice and should last you a long long time. I like your design very much as it follows the makings of an early Virginia/Appalachian style bag. Your choice of leather is right on as 3-4 oz is just right for the product you have so skillfully completed. The attachment of your strap is a method that was seen on some early pouches. You just did a marvelous job especially for your first attempt. If I were going to do anything any different there is a few things you might want to add. You could still add an inside pocket. The usual way would be to sew it to the inside back of your bag. Some were sewn to the front of the bag under the flap. this style sometimes had a separate flap to secure anything you might want to put in there. When I make a pouch I like to put a binding along the top edge of the pouch front that is not essential but it gives a nice touch and ease of inserting your hand to the interior. You can also roll the edge of your flap or bind it with buckskin. I don't know weather you put a welt in your seams or not but one does make the over all construction much stronger. This is not necessary as I have seen lots of pouches that were not welted. You talk as if this will be the only shooting pouch that you will ever make but this is not the norm as they can be very habit forming. I made my first pouch when I was a kid out of a ground hog hide that I killed and just dried the skin. I am now 76 and I am still making them. If you have any questions that I could help you with feel free to message me anytime. Your choice of Tim Alberts book was an excellent step as he is one of the best. He is also very approachable and will always help you anyway he can. You did a wonderful job and I am looking forward to seeing more of your creations.
Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Frank Barker:
Alex has a youtube channel that is very well done. It is called the Frontier Trading Company and covers several different subjects. It you look them up be sure to give them a like if you watch them. I am sure we will hear more from this young man in the future.
Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Greg Pennell:
Nice work!  I can’t add anything to Frank’s comments, except welcome!  I think you’ll find you are stepping into a very satisfying, lifelong hobby.  Looking forward to more videos as well!

Greg

old george:
Awhile back the question was asked about the future of muzzleloading etc. This young man shows it will continue on. I like your VA/Appalachian pouch and your videos are nicely done. I agree with Frank we will see more of this young man.

My Best,
george

hanshi:
You've got bag making down pat.  And welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version