General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Possibles bag and horn practicality

<< < (2/6) > >>

T.C.Albert:
I don't mean to sound harsh, but our mission statement supports a more traditional approach:

The mission of AmericanLongrifles.org is to promote, preserve and support the traditional art and craft of building, collecting and using the American Longrifle. This would include accouterments and related arms of the period.

Im not sure we can help with that rig but if you do decide to try a pouch and horn I know you will find alot of help here.
TC

Brokennock:
I've heard people complain about their shot pouch and horn flopping around or getting hung up on things while hunting.
I've not had this issue. I wind up in some thick mountain laurel quite often, or sometimes thickets of early growth beech and Maple sapplings,,, though I try to avoid them.
Sometimes things get thick in some stands of hemlock. But, I find it far worse in archery season with my longbow and shoulder slung side quiver.
I wear my shot pouch pretty high and powder horn higher than my shot pouch.  I try to have the bottom of the pouch at or above waist level so when I sit on the ground, it isn't hitting the ground and dumping over. This allows me to either hold the bag and horn against my side under my armpit with my upper arm and elbow, or push them around behind me and block them from coming forward with my upper arm. My bag is also quite small, especially for someone shooting a smoothbore.

Depending on how much stuff you really need in your shot pouch, another option is a belt pouch styled after the Lemual Lyman bag.

Pics if the original,

My copy,

martin9:
One place I hunt has privet and cane thickets, briars, grape vines. In other words some thick stuff. It also has a few inches of standing water on it a lot in the winter. I've killed some of my best bucks on this place. My biggest to date matter a fact. Never had an issue carrying a bag and horn. I like to mosey around still hunting when I'm there, if my bag/horn were getting hung up it'd only be because I was moving too fast.   

Not English:
Bushfire, Wow that's quite the rig. What I carry depends on what I'm hunting. Deer wise, I hunt in the northwoods of Wi. Everything I need is carried in my hunting coat pockets. I use a small loading block  and a flat priming horn. Powder is pre-measured  and carried in either 35mm film cans or diabetic test strip cans (smaller). I only carry enough supplies for another 2 or 3 shots with the rifle loaded already when I start. There's nothing to snag in a cedar swamp except for clothing. This setup would fit really nicely in a belt pouch as Brokennock suggests. For all other hunting, I usually carry a possibles bag carried up high under the arm. A powder horn is usually carried but no priming horn.

Dave

Daryl:
Hunting with a cap lock, a percussion cap wheel, and paper ctgs. was all I carried while out from camp.
I first loaded with patched ball for the first shot, then had 4 paper ctgs. in a park my parka's right side
pocket with the cap wheel in my top right side breast pocket.
Snag free all the way.
The bush I hunted for moose in, was mostly tight willow and young aspen - snaggy $#@*. The "outfit" I
carried, did not snag.
Hunting with a flinter, would need same ctgs. + primer horn only. That's it. Simple does it.
Paper ctgs. with glued sides, turned out to be very robust and could be carried in the pocket all fall
without damage. They work in calibres from at least .58 upwards. With the paper wrap, they should be
snug/tight in the bore & need the rod to push them down. I even needed the choked up rod to get them
started, but they gave the same accuracy as a patched ball.

French style of making paper ctgs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version