Author Topic: Which flint rifle kit  (Read 1573 times)

Offline warren5421

• Starting Member
Which flint rifle kit
« on: January 26, 2022, 06:57:47 AM »
Looking at two kit makers rifles: Jim CHAMBERS and  Jim Kibler.  Is there an advantage to one kit over the other for someone who has never built a kit before?

Looking at Jim Kibler's SOUTHERN MOUNTAIN RIFLE KIT in .45.
Looking at Jim Chambers' Isaac Haines in .45

Both are close enough in price that it isn't a consideration.

Offline Frank

Re: Which flint rifle kit
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 10:18:51 AM »
I have purchased kits from both Jim Chambers and Jim Kibler. Jim Kibler’s rifles are much easier to put together by far. I have built both Kibler SMR and the Colonial and a Chambers’s Yorktown.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
There’s a world of style difference between those 2 kits.

Also, your choice may depend on whether you primarily want the gun, the experience, or both, and how deep you want to dive. If the shortest and easiest path to a completed rifle floats your boat, Kibler. If almost building a longrifle floats your boat, Chambers. If building a longrifle is something you want to achieve, buy a plank, lock, barrel and some furniture and have at it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 04:28:45 PM »
 Your present tool kit may make a difference too.

Tim C.

Offline warren5421

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »
I have a full wood working shop with all the tools, both hand and power, needed to make furniture.  Worked engineering most of my adult life.  Finishing the barrel should be the hardest as arthritis has set in both hands.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 05:04:00 PM »
As Rich said those are two different kinds of rifles so I would go with the one that will fill the intended purpose or use of the gun.

Offline martin9

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 06:06:50 PM »
With all those tools and experience I would go with the Chambers, or build from a blank. You'll end up with something more "yours"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »
Arthritis might be a game changer. I would start with a Kibler Colonial as a test
just to see how the hands work out.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 06:25:55 PM »
If you want to have a rifle, go with Kibler. If you want to build a rifle, go with Chambers or a blank.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 08:38:49 PM »
Arthritis might be a game changer. I would start with a Kibler Colonial as a test
just to see how the hands work out.

My right wrist hurts even when starting the car.The doofus idea of a starting system behind the steering wheell ranks right up there with the even dumber idea of a fuel pump in the gas tank.I do not think I can inlet a lock plate now and have given up on the rifle I have started a
long time ago.
Bob Roller

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 11:49:27 PM »
I have done two plank builds with someone else inletting the barrel and drilling the ramrod hole, I would recommend this as a starting point over any precarve kit out there.

I have done two precarve "kits", one was mildly flawed, one was a nightmare with at least ten major flaws in the way the precarve was cut. I will NEVER do another precarve kit.

I put together one Kibler SMR, it was an early one with a Rice barrel and Chambers lock, the inlets were slightly undersized, it took more work than the current ones but was still a breeze to assemble.

So, my recommendation if you want to learn to build a rifle start by assembling parts for the style of rifle you want, buy a stock blank and have one of the guys who do really good work inlet the barrel and drill the ramrod hole for you and proceed. I use full sized plans to work off, keep in mind your parts and the parts on the plan may be different, so you have to adjust your parts to the plan. I found this out on my first build, I put my lock exactly where the plans indicated, the sear position on the plan and my lock were vastly different. If I had already cut for my buttplate and didn't have any extra wood I would have had a 12" length of pull, thank goodness I left some extra wood on the blank

If you want to just get your toes wet as far as gun building goes to see what it is like, get a Kibler, bar none the best gun out there for those who have minimal skills and just want a fine gun.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:56:32 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 02:46:50 AM »
The last two Kibler SMRs I assembled did not require draw filing the barrels.  I used #150 paper, it took around 10 strokes per area to take off the machine marks.  In other words his machining is super smooth as received.  I was able to do the top five flats in one sitting and one sheet of paper.  I blended the flats with maroon scotch bright.

The sights fit the dovetails with no fitting. 

I have a recent 45 cal SMR.  It is a pleasure to shoot.  IT is very light and fast handling.  It holds nice on the target.