General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Skychief load

<< < (7/7)

Tim Ault:
Thank you that was very informative, I’ve never seen a wire basket like that

Daryl:
I agree, Tim. Imagine someone today making those "wire basket shot loads/buffering agent" and selling them at a decent price.
I wonder who thought today's buffered shot loads were something new?

sonny:
I think the hard wad in front of the powder, shoves the shot into the thin card topper with a juicy fiber felt-wad an slightly indents that “reverse” shotgun wad an stays with the felt longer  as it heads to the target . Wow!!!!! In my “minds eye” I can see that happening……. Scarey HAYNA!!!!

Daryl:
One expedient used to tighten patterns in smoothbores back in the early 1800's, was what was called the Swedish Cup wad. Today's equivalent would be the shot cup(post-it note)
or a hollowed out fiber wad. The hollow fiber wad was sometimes used as a cheat the oft times patterning contests in England, according to W.W. Greener in the 9th edition of "The Gun".
This was likely noted by his Dad W. Greener in earlier v"editions" of that book.
So- hollow wads held 'extra' shot which increased the central patter as a cheat in competitions.  These can also be experimented with to increase central concentrations for hunting as well.
On top of that, post-it notes and such as plastic cup wads, if protected from powder flame by an 1/8" card can also be used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version