Author Topic: Skychief load  (Read 4467 times)

Offline al56

Skychief load
« on: October 05, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »
I have been looking for information on the skychief load.  I know it should be on the forum but I can't seem to find it.  Thanks.

Offline jim alford

Re: Skychief load
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 08:05:59 PM »
I believe that info is a sticky on the TRADITIONAL MUZZLE LOADER FORUM listed under smoothbores.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 01:54:00 AM »
^^^^^^^^
This
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 02:41:21 AM »
Yessir. That’s where she lies.

Offline al56

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 05:18:03 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Interesting load and I'm going to try it.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 07:01:32 PM »
I have heard about the Skychief load for several years, but I have yet to find what it is exactly written on this forum.

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
There are answers all over Google. Just have to type it in.
Brice Stultz

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 02:59:49 AM »
I used the search function once and after reading dozens of threads just like this I came to the conclusion that the Skychief load was like “snipe hunting “.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 03:09:13 AM »
About those snipe. Don't try to cook them in a microwave. I ended up with 19 little black walnuts that were originally 19 snipe breasts.
Shot them with a 10 bore - all 19, one shot. 2 ounces of #8 1/2's.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 04:37:38 AM »
I provided the o.p. a link to the best to topics on the subject on that other forum. I did not think it to be within the rules here to post links to other forums.

I will try to copy and paste the original written instructions here in another reply. I apologize, but, I just don't have it in me to recreate my pictorial demonstration of this loading method.
It does seem to baffle people for some reason, thus the pictorial essay on the other forum. But, really, this isn't that hard.

I do want to say this though. I have yet to read of someone trying this, to, the, letter that didn't have at least some pattern improvement. Every person who posted that they got no improvement or had pattern problems altered something in  the components and method.
I have noticed that just leaving the thin overshot card out from in between the shot and the Heavily lubed cushion wads that sits on top, changes the pattern and reduces this loads effectiveness.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 04:45:45 AM »
Load these components, in, this, order, per Skychief's instructions written about elsewhere.

Powder charge
Nitro (hard) card
Shotload
Thin overshot card
Full fiber cushion wad*

*The cushion wad needs to be SATURATED (the wetter and heavier, the better) with oil. I like to use olive oil.

The load seems to shine best when used in cylinder bored guns.

Best of luck to all, Skychief.

End copy and paste from elsewhere.

Do not alter or substitute components. Each little thing makes a difference.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 05:29:24 PM »
It works for me and works well. I have a jug choked fowler that shot between an IC and modified, I was hoping for a turkey pattern when I had the barrel choked, I didn't get it.

Enter the Skychief load at 25 yards, I think this will work;

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 10:49:56 PM »
The key difference in the load is that he discovered that putting the big, thick cushion wad OVER the shot, rather than behind it and over the powder, produced good uniform patterns.  Long discussions have ensued theorizing the "whys" of it, but many people try it and find to their surprise it works.
Jerry

Offline Skychief

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 03:07:05 AM »
al56, good luck with the load.  Thanks Brokennock for posting the information here.  Hope its helpful.

Best regards all, Skychief.

Offline al56

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 05:23:44 AM »
Thanks for the information.  Appreciate  all the help and questions answered on this web site.

Offline RAT

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 09:01:15 PM »
I'm not a shotgun guy, but I've read that with modern shotguns the wad will move through the shot column upon leaving the muzzle and disturb the shot. This apparently causes fliers or an empty hole in the middle of the pattern. Some believe barrel porting compensates for recoil and muzzle rise. It might, but I think the main advantage is that air flowing into the barrel from the ports helps slow the wad as it gets ready to leave the muzzle. I think this is why ported guns are reported to group better. I only own one modern shotgun, it is ported, but I shoot it like a rifle because it's my house gun for intruders.

Back to muzzleloaders... By putting the heavy wad on top of the shot, it exits first and can't blow through the shot column from behind.
Bob

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 03:07:18 AM »
One would think that but for some reason it doesn't, my thinking is the shot drafts behind the fiber wad like a one car following very closely to the car ahead of it in a NASCAR race to stay out of the turbulence. With less initial turbulence they shot disperses more evenly.

What ever is going on, it works for me and most but not all of the people who try it. In the posts on the M/L Forum there a few dissenters who claim if they work up just the right load they can get any choked pattern (IC-Modified or Full) out of a cylinder bore gun.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »
One would think that wet wad would slow down faster than the shot, so therefore interfere with pattern.
That patterns are not affected sounds wrong, but I cannot argue with success!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 06:39:30 PM »
Same thoughts I had, Richard, but the results speak for themselves.
 Top "shadow-graph" shows the base wad pushing into the back end of the shot charge from a cylinder bored gun with it's normal short shot string.
 Bottom "shadow-graph" shows the results from a choked gun, the elongation of the shot charge, but the manner shown is the choke slowing down the wads.

Daryl

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 06:53:15 PM »
For the life of me I can't see how a heavy wet wad in front of shot would make a tighter pattern. Goes against common since. Well the PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING! I guess I'm going to have to try it.

Offline RAT

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 08:13:10 PM »
Just thinking out loud...

If the shot column typically strings horizontally (in line with the bore) upon leaving the muzzle... and not out to the side (until it reaches some distance)... then the heavier wad in front could be moving slower... and more WITH the shot column... rather than flying away from it. That could be keeping the shot column more compressed until it reaches further from the muzzle... therefore... the cone of shot is smaller when it reaches the target.
Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 01:47:29 AM »
The heavy wet wad over the shot doesn't make sense, but seems to work for more than one person, so that method is worth trying.
Another, is using a pair to 3 overshot thin "B" wads between powder and shot, then same thin card over the shot. Seems the 2 or 3
thin "B" wads over the powder appears to get a seal, then being so lightweight, they fly away instead of slamming into the shot column
and disrupting it at the muzzle.
Experimenting is always a good thing.
Daryl

Offline DanL

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 02:58:47 PM »
The Skychief load works (improves an already great pattern)  in my 20 bore jug choked Chambers' officer's fusil. It has a 41" barrel jug choked to super full by L. Tennyson (sp?) for Turkey and tall tree squirrels.

My thoughts are similar to the above comments. In particular, the shot may draft a bit behind the heavy wet/lubed wad. In addition, I also believe that the 'excessive' lube in the over shot wad sufficiently increases the lube on the bore walls (and individual shot) to cut down on friction (Drag) of the shot moving down the bore. As you know, this results in a couple of scenarios ; it allows the shot to move down the bore easier AND creates less malformation of the shot through friction . This MIGHT help in the end result of a better pattern.

Respectfully, DanL
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:03:15 PM by DanL »
From God's Farm in Alabama; God bless America & "Alba gu Brath !!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 08:04:57 PM »
Yes - I had thoughts along those lines, as well, DanL, regarding the lubrication.
Daryl

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2022, 07:43:23 AM »
This is a Very interesting load. I think the lube on the bore has merit as well as the shot "drafting" the olive oil soaked thick front wad.
    I was also thinking about the "weight" of that oil filled thick cushion wad, the weight would be much greater than any single piece of round lead bird shot (until you get up into large dia buck shot)...I read in a different thread of the oil soaked wad doing damage to target frames at quite some distance....I bet Just the oil soaked thick wad (loaded by itself) might be Lethal to rabbits at 10-15 yards? My point is that heavy mass may stay out in front of the shot column for several/many yards before the lead passes it, this would give the shot more time to develop into a nice pattern and when the lead finally does pass the heavy wad then far less pellets are affected, vs a thin overshot wad has very little weight to it and is about as aerodynamic as a parachute...the lead shot column must pass thru it Very close to the muzzle and "can" give the effect of doughnut shaped patterns. Just thinking out loud 8)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:51:15 AM by Hunterdude »