Author Topic: ALR Musuem Gun: Lehigh School......Unknown maker  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Musuem Gun: Lehigh School......Unknown maker
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:45:27 AM »
This gun is a classic representation of the unique architecture attributed to the
"Lehigh" School of Gunsmithing. No features allow identificcation with certainty of the gunsmith or family. What is your guess and why????

Here is the URL

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=225.0

Please post your comments here as a reply.
Hurricane

Offline Don Getz

Re: ALR Musuem Gun: Lehigh School......Unknown maker
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »
Wow, a real neat gun.   My guess would be Allen Martin....just joking.   Really difficult to attribute it to any of the great
Lehigh-Allentown builders.............Don

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »
What a great gun! Lehigh architecture at its best! I would love a closer look at  the rod pipes.  Any wriggle work? Very hard to say who , but the architecture is better than most of the plain Lehigh guns you see. Love it.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »
Real clean, well worth emulating.  No clue.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 01:11:52 AM »
For me , a naive student it allows for study of the architecture, without the distraction of carving, and other distractions.  What a beauty.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline VP

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 03:31:30 AM »
Your museum just keep getting better. This is a wonderful addition to your collection. Of course, like most, I have a real soft spot for the Lehigh's. This is a wonderful example. Your photos are outstanding. After looking this over who wouldn't want to build one just like it.

Van

northmn

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »
Kind of wish I would have went a route like that for my 25 squirrel rifle.  Really wish I knew how common rifles like that were?  I have absolutely no idea who would have built it, but enjoyed viewing it.  Thank you.

DP

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:09:22 PM »
I'd say that back in the time, rifles like this were very common. In fact much more common than the carved and inlayed variety. And just because it's an unadorned rifle doesn't mean it shouldn't have good architecture.
The thing with guns like this, is that once they were used up, the stock was probably just tossed in the fire place and the barrel used for a fence post.
John
John Robbins

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:26 PM »
I agree 100% ...very common. There are allot of Lehighs floating around with no box or a simple wood box  with no carving. The vast majority of the guns Ive seen with a two piece brass box have no carving. I have allot of pictures of Lehighs that are on the plain side. You can usually pick out the traits that make it a Lehigh but they don't all have the flowing graceful lines of this gun or some of the better known published pieces out there.