Author Topic: Appalachian Bearded Bag  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Shopdog

Appalachian Bearded Bag
« on: October 07, 2021, 05:56:17 AM »
While I usually think too much fringe is "cringe" I had a bunch of small scraps of leather I couldn't bare to throw out and wanted to try something based on two originals - one from late 19th century East Tennessee - a Jake Blevins bag noted in John Rice Erwin's book on southern Appalachian guns, the other the Jesse McGlemary bag from Rutherford County, NC (early 19th century).  I've seen a few of this style replicated by more talented contemporary bag makers but I'm wondering if the experts on the forum have seen other original examples of "bearded" bags - if so please let me know.  As far as I know they seem to be a Southern Appalachian thing.  This is a kit I made for a Gillespie rifle a friend made years back.  I wanted something Appalachian to go with it.  The leather is brain tanned deer then dyed with walnut, stitching with linen thread.  The strap is by Pam Hutton and banded horn by Tim Crosby - two talented artists I highly recommend!  Hopefully this bag will accompany me on a bear hunt some day up in North Georgia.  That's the idea anyways.

Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Appalachian Bearded Bag
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 08:02:33 AM »
Yes, I had one in the shop a few years ago. It was detailed a bit in a Muzzleloader article on the topic done at the time. Neat old bag, but in near relic condition. It was actually rescued from a burn pile as I recall.
Tim A
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline DougS

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 09:42:17 AM »
You did a "real" nice job on this pouch.

Great set, strap and horn really complete it!

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Doug

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:28:57 PM »
That is a beautiful bag, and looks a lot like one I saw at Knoxville last year.  There is a lot of work in there. 
Below is one I made, with the beard on the flap versus the body.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 03:55:50 AM »
I love these bags. One of these days I am going to do one for my collection...

Frank

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 09:43:16 PM »
I love these bags. One of these days I am going to do one for my collection...

Frank

Ditto!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 11:25:18 PM »
Thank y’all for the responses.  I really like the one you did Marc!  I wonder what the origin of this style is?  Seems southern.  My sons refer to it as a “bruh” aka “bro” bag as it reminds them of something a bearded hipster would wear!  Definitely not me but I have to admit the look of the bag has grown on me.
Cheers
Joe
Joe Davis

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 03:31:57 AM »
 I'm stealing that measure it will make me smile every time I load! Swell bag, maybe my boy will make me one for Christmas, hint, hint.

Offline Wmasswolf

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 05:35:21 AM »
Love the bag! Ive only seen one orginal- the NC bag at knoxville that has been referenced. Im working on a copy of it now to go with my kibler NC mountain rifle.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 12:20:47 PM »
Looks like you’re ready to shake hands with that bear, ShopDog!

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 04:55:09 PM »
Here's another bearded bag.  I used a picture in Jim Webb's book for reference in 2012. 

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 03:33:09 AM »
Great to see all these bearded bags and top job on those two recreations of the  McGlamary bag!  It is such a distinctive look I would love to know if it was a recognizable “style” back in the day perhaps attributable to a specific area or group of artisans. 
Joe
Joe Davis

Offline Wmasswolf

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 06:20:18 AM »
Ive only seen the mcclary bag first hand. There seem to have been enough bearded bags to document they were a legit style, but i havent seen any others. There are other fringed bags, but bearded seem to be harder to ducument.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 05:37:06 PM »
Never was much a fan of “fringe”, but these bags are beautiful, fellas. Nice work.

Bob