General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

*******In regards to topics or discussions on making Black Powder******

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bill Raby:
   Like many other potentially dangerous activities, making black powder is safe if you know what you are doing and do it the right way. Problem is that not many people actually have the training to work with dangerous materials. Watching some videos and reading a few articles is not going to cut it. I have yet to see one that makes any mention of static electricity. Dennis is right. This forum is not suitable to teach someone the right way to do it.
   The good news is that it is possible to safely and legally make black powder and the training is available. If you want to do it, get the training and use the proper equipment. You do NOT need an explosive license to make your own black powder. But you DO need the same training that is required to get that license. Without training it is only a matter of time before you blow yourself up. Contact the ATF and they should be able to point you in the right direction to find training. Expect to pay some money for it. The proper equipment is going to cost some money too. Going cheap is not worth it.
   Avoid the afternoon lesson from the guy at the shooting range that makes his own powder. Just because he has not killed himself yet does not make him qualified to teach you anything. Get real training. You certainly can make your own powder. You can even make it in large quantities and sell it with the proper license. It is not some magical thing that only gunpowder companies can do. I would imagine a number of people here are probably going to start making their own powder. Get the training and do it right.

john bohan:
I think there has been too much panic in our ranks,come on we are not chemists. Dennis is right and we will have powder in the future.

Bob Roller:
Green River Powder comes to mind----TWO DEAD if I remember right.
A book called The Complete Guide to Handloading speaks to the occasional
explosion in the powder mill.When I was in High School one genius brewed up
some kind of powder that went off with a violent flash and he was badly burned.
BUY your powder or trade for it with others who use it.
Bob Roller

DavidC:
Does this extend to discussions of how the big boys make powder? I recall how we talked about Goex's process when news of the plant closure and sale came out. I don't think anything from that discussion could really translate to someone trying to make it at home but where do you stand on it?

Mad Monk:

--- Quote from: Bob Roller on October 12, 2021, 02:13:40 PM ---Green River Powder comes to mind----TWO DEAD if I remember right.
A book called The Complete Guide to Handloading speaks to the occasional
explosion in the powder mill.When I was in High School one genius brewed up
some kind of powder that went off with a violent flash and he was badly burned.
BUY your powder or trade for it with others who use it.
Bob Roller

--- End quote ---

Bob,
The Green River Powder Company was something.  Saw a picture of it way back.  Two guys running the wheel mill.  They were showing the then president of GOEX how it was done.  Then when they got out the steel shovels and scoops to clean the batch out of the pan the president of GOEX was seen driving out the access road at a high rate of speed.  With du Pont and then GOEX only wooden tools were allowed in the wheel mill building.  I have nice photos of the wooden du Pont wheel mill tolls at their refurbished wheel mill at the Hagley Museum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version