Author Topic: Joseph M. Whitson Rifle “Joy”  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Joseph M. Whitson Rifle “Joy”
« on: October 07, 2021, 06:07:40 PM »
Approximately .40 caliber with a 38 inch long barrel. Appears to be original percussion.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 04:16:38 PM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Joseph Whitson Rifle “Joy”
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 06:50:33 PM »
Hey, thanks for the pictures! It looks identical to my Ebay rifle, though mine is the econo version.
I'll look forward to more info when you post it!
John
John Robbins

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 12:06:39 AM »
 8) 8).. Very nice Carolina mountain rifle, Bill,... a couple questions prior to your added description and specs, please,.... Do you think this one was ever flint,? (I know other Whitson rifles were) and, there seem to be two filled holes in the trigger-guard extensions where it would be attached to the stock,     but the guard is pinned in,... any reason for that,...? and can you make out the name/word inside the patchbox, ? ... Whitson rifles are rare and this one is everything you want in one,... regards,... CCF 

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 01:25:30 AM »
The rear "filled hole" appears to line up nicely with the rear pin.  Is it possible the tabs for the pins are riveted to the extensions and what we are seeing are the ends of the rivets?

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 02:20:11 AM »
It has the owners name, H. P. Joy in a silver plate in the barrel. It is also inside the patchbox. There is no damage to the trigger housing. It’s held in place by pins. There are some dings on both sides of the trigger guard. I think that’s what you are seeing.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 04:06:17 AM »
Dana, thanks for the comments. JTR, please post some photos of your rifle.

Offline AZshot

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 04:09:13 AM »
wow, I love seeing that one!  Nice trigger guard and wood. 

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 07:59:45 PM »
I used to own that rifle and sold it back to Gerald Neaves when I purchased his earlier Whitson. rifle. Gerald said your "Joy" rifle was made by Joseph McDowell Whitson,Jr. and the rifle I now have is by his father, Joseph McDowell Whitson, Sr.

It is a beautiful rifle with great architecture.  I think your rifle has always been percussion.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 08:31:17 PM »
I have never seen dotted  letters inside a patchbox before.
Is that unique to this rifle or are there others?
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 01:51:30 AM »
Bill, Your rifle is a real beauty, and has about everything on it that a guy could wish for!
Mine on the other hand is the econo version, no butt plate, no PB, etc, but stylistically is about a dead ringer for yours!

So, I just posted pictures of my rifle in this section from the old thread from back when it was found. The Ebay E Tenn Rifle.
Seems Whitson is a Carolina maker, so the E Tenn is wrong, but that what I thought it was back then. Dennis recovered the old pictures of it, though Photobucket left their brand on them.
I'm thinking this is a Joseph Whitson, and maybe Michael Briggs can help with that as he knows these guns well. Anyone else is encouraged to help out as well.
John
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:01:35 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 08:14:36 PM »
I used to own that rifle and sold it back to Gerald Neaves when I purchased his earlier Whitson. rifle. Gerald said your "Joy" rifle was made by Joseph McDowell Whitson,Jr. and the rifle I now have is by his father, Joseph McDowell Whitson, Sr.

It is a beautiful rifle with great architecture.  I think your rifle has always been percussion.

Michael

Thanks Michael,
There seems to be some confusion in other post about this rifle. I would like to clarify that according to Gerald and others this rifle was made by Joseph McDowell Whitson Sr.

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
Re: Joseph M. Whitson Rifle “Joy”
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 09:26:35 PM »
Is there a set trigger adjusting screw in the trigger plate or is it missing?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 02:09:09 AM »
I wonder if this beauty has any decorative markings at the muzzle?
John Robbins

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 03:40:00 AM »
I will not argue the point, but that is not what I remember being told when I bought the rifle.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 05:21:06 AM »
Is there a set trigger adjusting screw in the trigger plate or is it missing?

Burg,
There was a set screw but it is missing now.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:26:08 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 08:02:28 PM »
I will not argue the point, but that is not what I remember being told when I bought the rifle.

Michael

JTR, I checked. There are no muzzle markings on the barrel.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 08:06:36 PM »
Thanks for looking!
John
John Robbins

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »
Thanks for posting the picture of the trigger plate showing that the set screw is missing.  The reason I asked about it is because I noticed that the set screw in the photographs of Michael Briggs Whitson rifle and also the Whitson in Bill Ivey's book had a distinctive "finial shape" on its end which may be designed to make it easier to adjust.  I have never seen a set trigger adjusting screw that looked like those and suspect that Whitson made his own triggers.  Are there any distinctive markings on the trigger plate?

Fred

Offline heinz

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 08:08:01 PM »
Burg, that screw finial is a whitson characteristic.  The Whitsons did make their own triggers.  Ian Pratt has studied Whitson triggers and hopefully may comment.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Terry Cheek

• Proverbs 27:17
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2021, 07:09:14 PM »
An amazing rifle. I have purchased a Kibler SMR kit and I understand it is somewhat formed around the Whitson Jr. pattern. Can anyone point me to more information about the Whitson school? I would love to know more before my kit arrives and I start building.

Thanks
Terry
Respectfully
Terry

Christian/Hunter/Trapper/Gatherer/Bushcrafter

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 07:31:20 PM »
An amazing rifle. I have purchased a Kibler SMR kit and I understand it is somewhat formed around the Whitson Jr. pattern. Can anyone point me to more information about the Whitson school? I would love to know more before my kit arrives and I start building.

Thanks
Terry

Terry, Here's a link to my likely Whitson rifle. I bought it off Ebay, in less that great condition and have since fixed it up a bit. There are some good pictures of stock architecture though.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=28878.msg681797#msg681797
John Robbins