General discussion > Gun Building

Reamer Made to Correct a Large Bore....Reaming successfully completed

<< < (3/13) > >>

davec2:
Heinz,

Haven't given much though to rifling.  Way back when I tried to patch a cannon ball with a greased rag, I couldn't even get it more than a few inches into the bore.  Had to blow it out with compressed air just to clear the bore.  Without the complexity of making projectiles that engage the rifling mechanically (i.e.lugs on the projectile that mate up to the rifling), or casting projectiles with a lead skirt (like a Minnie ball) it all seemed too much work.  After all, it has taken me 50 years to just advance to the point of trying to ream the bore and cast a closer fitting ball.    :o  And yes, I am not entirely sure I can hand ream the bore, but the barrel is cast iron (which cuts fairly easily) and I don't have to take too big a bite at a time....I'll keep you posted, but wish me luck.

Daryl,

Yes, any of those materials would work as a muzzle guide to keep the reamed shaft concentric with the bore.  I have a piece of 4 inch diameter scrap aluminum round stock, so I think I'll give that a try first.

Not English:
Dave, I have recently become the curious owner of a 1" bore swivel gun, so I will be following with interest.

Dave

Robby:
There used to be an outfit in Michigan, if I remember right, that made rifled barrel liners for Parrot cannons and claimed the liner was strong enough to fire as a stand alone.
Robby

flinchrocket:
I am thinking that you will need a carriage to support the wild end of the reamer shaft. With your muzzle pilot to guide the front, you will not have support on the other end while you are trying to turn the reamer. I suppose you have considered how you are going to hold on to such a large contraption and still be able to rotate it with that long handle??? Best of luck to your endeavors. ;)

Birddog6:
I don't mean to be negative, but I don't think that reamer will work by hand.  I think you need to drill the bore to within  ? .100" & then ream it.  If it is a very big bite at all, you won't be able to turn it & then also it is going to wedge in & pull in & wedge tighter.  I think you will need a stop on the shaft & cut a couple thousands, back the stop off the shaft a couple thousand more, repeat, etc.

I have a rifling machine & accesseries (bore reamers & etc ).  Haven't messed with the rifling machine much (life keeps getting in the way) but I have used the barrel bore reamers a couple times.  Boy you jam a .50 cal reamer, it is
a sumbuck to get to back out. Thus I imagine a 2.75" one may be impossible to get out if one is not careful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version